bus.jpg

Update Saturday 3:35 p.m.  A woman visiting from Columbia University was taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital with serious injuries after being hit by a bus near the corner of York and Elm streets shortly before 10:30 p.m. Friday, the authorities said. Her condition is unknown, though the New Haven Police Department released a statement early Saturday saying that her injuries were not life-threatening.

According to police and eyewitness reports, the woman’s arm got caught under the bus near the intersection of York and Elm streets.  Witnesses reported that she may have been dragged by the bus.  At the scene, a CT Transit bus was cordoned off with yellow crime scene tape, a bloody pile of groceries and flowers strewn under its right-front wheel.

The sergeant on the scene said the victim — described as an Asian woman in her mid-20s — was found in shock, but conscious. He said police will not know exactly what happened until they conduct an accident reconstruction.

The victim’s name has not been released, though Deputy University Secretary Martha Highsmith said in an e-mail message Saturday that the woman is a Columbia University affiliate.

This, of course, is the same busy intersection where a then-Branford freshman was  seriously injured in a hit-and-run in October of 2007.

(Photo: Dung La/Contributing Photographer)