electro.jpg

So much for all those students who complained last year, as the University weighed building two new colleges behind the Grove Street Cemetery, that there was never any life on Science Hill after dark.

Last night’s Electro open-air electronic dance party behind the Becton Center on Prospect Street was so popular that the fire marshal began denying entrance to students after the Becton courtyard, which can hold 650 people, filled up to capacity.  The organizers of the party — the winner of the Undergraduate Organizations Funding Committee’s 5K competition — apologized to students in a Facebook message today.

“Well done to the guy who tried to get in by scaling the 20 foot sheer stone wall at the back,” wrote organizers Michael Simpson ’10 and Farhad Anklesaria ’10. “The policewoman said you almost made it.”

They added: “SEND ME A MESSAGE THIS AFTERNOON AND I WILL BUY YOU ICE CREAM.”

By all accounts, the party was a hit with students.  Marcel Breuer’s modernist Becton Center is often derided as something of an eyesore, but as the backdrop for a laser light show, it was remarkably attractive.  On Facebook today, one Eli said Electro was the “best party in a long time,” another called it “amazing” and a third just wrote “wow.”

Simpson and Anklesaria were pleased with the event, too. “The whole thing took on a life of its own and really surpassed any expectations we had for it,” they wrote.

YALE DAILY NEWS