By Thomas Kaplan

DENVER, 1:27 p.m. — On Monday, in a recap of observations from my first full day at the Democratic National Convention, I wrote:

There is some good news: Yale did not name a provost today. When I was in New Hampshire, Yale made its big announcement about how it would spend more of its endowment. So, just because of my luck, I figure the new provost will be named this week, too.

I shouldn’t have joked like that, as The Yale Daily News has learned that University President Richard Levin will announce Yale’s new provost this afternoon. This may not seem very exciting, but the appointment is actually quite significant; unbeknown to most students, the provost is the University’s second-ranking official and its chief academic and administrative officer after Levin himself. The field for the position is wide open, too, adding to the drama.

We’ll be back to blogging in time for Representative Rosa DeLauro’s speech (actually, we shouldn’t call it that; I’ve seen an advance copy, and I’ve written text messages longer than her remarks) at the convention later this evening.

UPDATE, 3:18 p.m.: Yale College Dean Peter Salovey gets the job, and the University embarks upon a search for a new dean.  Read more here.