By Zach Marks

A wise man named Nelly once asked, “What does it take to be Number One? Two is not a winner and three nobody remembers.” Well Emily Schofield might beg to differ.

Word on the street is that Schofield filed papers for a re-election bid for the post of YCC vice president. Some might recall Schofield’s memorable run to the vice presidency last year when she made it out of a packed field of worthy candidates, including then YCC Treasurer David Roosth ’09 and TD Representative Danny Seifert ’09 who chaired a sick Freshman Olympics two years ago. What followed was some of the best political theatre of our time as she and Ryan Russell ’09 (who spits hot fire alongside on me on this here blog) took part in a dog-fight of a run-off in which she was able to get out the Branford vote just a tad more effectively than Russell could mobilize his base of athletes and frat boys.

This year, Schofield has held it down as VP, often working behind the scenes on the nitty gritty chores necessary to keep the well-oiled Taber machine churning along. She confesses to staying up to 3 or 4 am most nights taking care of the tedious tasks of governance – putting representatives in touch with administrators, setting agendas for meetings and the like. This all seemed in preparation for a grand run at the presidency. After a year under Taber’s tutelage, she’d be ready to take the reins and ball. So when I heard she was gunnin for veep again, my natural reaction was of course, “WTF? Is she scared of running against her fellow e-board member Harrison Marks ’10? Don’t be scurred, Emily! Don’t get punked by a sophomore!”

Turns out she’s not being punked. She’s just really feeling, in her words, the “internal HR role of the VP [more] than the external PR role of the prez (gross simplification, i know, but still to a degree very true).” What? Someone in the YCC doesn’t like seeing their name in print?

We’ll see if Emily sticks to her guns and doesn’t make a last-minute switcheroo to run for top dog. The current presidential field of three sophomores who will likely split the ’10 vote might be too tempting a field to jump into.

ZACH MARKS