Courtesy of Yale Athletics

On Monday, Yale Athletics will enter the newly modified Phase I of the Ivy League’s plan for the resumption of athletic activities as the campus-wide arrival quarantine comes to an end.

Over the weekend, Yale Athletics’ Director of Strategic Communications Mike Gambardella confirmed with the News in an email that Phase I would begin on Monday. Unlike last semester, the Ivy League will now allow sport-specific training in Phase I along with strength and conditioning training as long as teams are following campus social distancing guidelines.

“I’m really excited for Phase I to start up again to get back in the weight room and on the court,” volleyball player and right side hitter Ashley Dreyer ’22 said. “It’s been a while since we’ve been able to work together as a team, so I’m looking forward to getting back at it.”

Yale Athletics officially entered Phase 0 on Feb. 1 in conjunction with the start of spring-semester classes. In Phase 0, no in-person, physical athletic activities are allowed, but teams can meet virtually with coaches. Yale started in Phase 0 in an attempt to minimize COVID-19 cases as students returned to campus.

The Ivy League alluded to the changes in a memo to spring-sport students and coaches, updating its member athletes about the possibility of competition this semester and other related athletic news. On Feb. 7 the News confirmed with both the Ancient Eight and Yale Athletics that Phase I would now allow for sport-specific training and that, in Phase IV, teams would be able to start competition.

“I know my teammates and I are really excited to get back in the gym, both on the court as well as in the weight room,” fellow volleyball player and outside hitter Ellis DeJardin ’22 said. “Although we don’t have a season this year, we are grateful that we still have the opportunity to grow and get better together.”

Last semester, Yale never reached Phase III, which would be a necessary step to make competition possible. The changes in phasing were designed to create a path to competition according to Matt Panto, the associate executive director of strategic communications and external relations within the Ivy League.

Practice phases apply to enrolled in-residence student-athletes and remotely enrolled first years. Phase advancement is governed by Yale Health and the Yale Public Health Advisory Committee. 

Eugenio Garza García | eugenio.garzagarcia@yale.edu

EUGENIO GARZA GARCíA
Eugenio Garza García covers baseball, golf and athletic phasing. Originally from Monterrey, Mexico, he is a sophomore in Branford College majoring in Economics and English.