Steve Musco

Forward Joe Snively ’19 of the Yale men’s hockey team signed a two-year, entry-level contract March 18 with the NHL’s Washington Capitals.

The senior had a formidable four years with the Bulldogs. Snively, a Hobey Baker Award nominee for 2019, led Yale in points every year he has been at the program, recording 139 points in total — 58 goals and 81 assists in 129 career games. He recorded 36 points — 15 goals and 21 assists — in 33 games this season and set a collegiate career high of five power play tallies this campaign.

“Signing for the Caps, it seems like a really good opportunity for me,” Snively said. “Talking with the scouts, especially Danny Brooks of the Caps, my agent and others, I thought it would be the best move. I love the Caps. They are my favorite team, and I root for them every year. It was really special to watch them win the Stanley Cup last spring. I’ve followed them since they had the old black and gold jerseys. My dad’s a season ticket holder. That kind of sums it up.”

Snively’s 2017–18 season was also one to remember. He nabbed 19 goals and set up 17 on course for another 36-point season. His contributions were much needed, and Yale went 14–5–1 when he got a point. He was named to the NCAA All-Ivy First Team and was a NCAA (New England) All-Star. His fine form that year meant he was also 15th in the country in points per game with 1.16. He had seven multiple-goal games and bagged a hat trick against Princeton.

During his Yale career, he earned the honor of Ivy League Rookie of the Year for the 2015–16 season. He also had a career high of 39 points in his sophomore year.

“We’re happy for Joe to get this opportunity,” head coach Keith Allain ’80 said. “It’s something he’s worked really hard for. He’s been a dynamic offensive player for four years for us. He works hard to make his game better. Signing for his hometown team has got to be a real thrill for him, I know it’s a real thrill because I spoke with him today about it. We wish him the best, and we’re here to help him, if he needs any help along the way.”

Snively was undrafted prior to attending Yale. Before his first year, he had three full seasons for the Sioux City Musketeers of the United States Hockey League, where he played 159 games, scored 50 times and recorded 125 points. He also was a player for USA Hockey’s youth setup on two separate occasions. He won a silver medal with the U-18 team at the 2013 Ivan Hlinka tournament and gold at the 2014 World Junior A Championship.

The Herndon, Virginia, native also played for the Washington Little Capitals — the Washington Capitals’ local youth hockey program — at the MedStar Capitals Iceplex. The Iceplex serves as the NHL franchise’s practice arena.

His contract starts in the 2019–20 season, with Washington already at the maximum number of 50 contracts.

This article was updated to reflect the one that ran in print on March 25. 

Bill Gallagher | william.gallagher@yale.edu

BILL GALLAGHER