In an open letter to Senate Judiciary Committee, 49 Yale law school faculty members on Friday called for a full investigation into the allegation of sexual assault against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh ’87 LAW ’90.

In the open letter, the faculty members wrote that an allegation of sexual assault against someone nominated for a lifetime appointment requires a neutral fact finder and an investigation. The signatories, including former Law School deans Harold Koh and Robert Post, called for “a fair and deliberate confirmation process.”

“With so much at stake for the Supreme Court and the nation, we are concerned about a rush to judgment that threatens both the integrity of the process and the public’s confidence in the Court,” the letter reads. “Some questions are so fundamental to judicial integrity that the Senate cannot rush past them without undermining the public’s confidence in the Court. This is particularly so for an appointment that will yield a deciding vote on women’s rights and myriad other questions of immense consequence in American lives.”

The letter comes two months after the Law School issued a press release in which several top faculty members praised Kavanaugh for his government and judicial service, as well as his opinions and mentorship. As the allegation of sexual assault emerged earlier this month, the faculty members who contributed to that release, including Law School Dean Heather Gerken, remained silent. Only one of the faculty members quoted in the press release, Abbe Gluck, signed Friday’s open letter; Gluck’s remarks appear to have been removed from the release.

Gerken did not sign the open letter. In a statement posted on the law school website, Gerken said she could not support or oppose a nominee.

“It’s a thoughtful statement and I support the efforts of individual faculty members to engage with these important issues,” Gerken wrote.

HAILEY FUCHS