Around 30 people overdosed on illegal drugs in downtown New Haven on Tuesday and Wednesday, according to a Wednesday afternoon press release from the New Haven Police Department. None of the overdoses resulted in fatalities.

Many of the overdoses occurred on the New Haven Green, next door to Yale’s campus. The police has made one arrest in connection to the overdoses. The suspect — whose identity has not been released — was found with drugs on his person, according to the NHPD.

New Haven emergency responders treated the overdose victims between Tuesday evening and and Wednesday afternoon, according to the press release. Some of the victims were transported to nearby hospitals for further treatment, the NHPD said.

The press release did not say which illegal drugs caused the dozens of overdoses and directed further questions to Rick Fontana, deputy director of New Haven Emergency Operations.  Fontana could not be reached for comment on Wednesday.

But Fox News and WTNH reported that K2, a synthetic form of cannabis, was responsible for some of the overdoses. K2 caused multiple overdoses in New Haven in February, when five people overdosed on the drug within two hours, resulting in one death.

Christina Carrafiell | christina.carrafiell@yale.edu

CHRISTINA CARRAFIELL