Members of the Yale and New Haven communities now have another clothes store, as the British-based retailer FatFace opens on Broadway.

FatFace opened earlier this month in the Elm City’s Broadway Shopping and Dining District. The chain was founded in 1988 by Tim Slade and Jules Leaver, who sold t-shirts and sweatshirts at a popular skiing destination in France, La Face, Val d’Isere, which inspired the brand’s name. The New Haven outpost marks the brand’s ninth American storefront since it entered the United States in 2016.

The new store will be located at 37 Broadway, between J. Crew and Origins.

“We are delighted and pleased that FatFace chose New Haven as one of its U.S. locations out of nearly 50 potential sites,” said Lauren Zucker, associate vice president for New Haven affairs and University properties.

Yale University Properties manages the University’s commercial properties, including the Shops at Yale, which encompasses stores on Broadway like Apple and J. Crew as well as the shops and restaurants in the Chapel Street Historic District, such as Shake Shack.

FatFace, which celebrates its 30th anniversary this year, opened its first retail store in London in 1992, four years after Slade and Leaver sold their first shirts and sweatshirts. Since then, the brand has expanded to provide apparel and accessories for both men and women at more than 225 stores worldwide.

ANGELA XIAO