T. Kyle Vanderlick, dean of the School of Engineering and Applied Science, will return full time to teaching and research after her current term concludes in December 2017, announced University President Peter Salovey in a Jan. 6 message to the Yale community.

Vanderlick, the Thomas E. Golden Jr. Professor of Chemical and Environmental Engineering, came to Yale in 2008. In his message, Salovey praised her for reinvigorating engineering at Yale and bolstering interest in the University’s engineering programs through groundbreaking initiatives such as the Center for Engineering Innovation & Design and the Advanced Graduate Leadership Program.

“Her decade in the deanship has seen the university reemerge as a national leader in engineering education and research,” he wrote.

As dean, Vanderlick oversaw the expansion of the School of Engineering and Applied Science to include the Department of Computer Science; helped recruit more than 30 new faculty members; and spearheaded vital capital improvements, Salovey added.

According to Salovey’s message, Vanderlick has offered to remain as dean through the end of the 2017-18 academic year if needed to ensure a “seamless transition.”

Tamar Gendler, dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, will lead the work to identify the next dean.

ZAINAB HAMID