Matthew Stock

Krista Yip-Chuck ’17 joined the Yale women’s hockey team already boasting national-level experience.

Before coming to Yale in 2013, the forward led the U-18 Canadian National team to a gold medal and topped the roster of her Provincial Women’s Hockey League team, the Jr. Whitby Wolves, in goals and total points. Now, after 104 consecutive games played, she captains the Yale squad and was just named the ECAC Hockey Player of the Month for November.

“It is always nice to be recognized,” Yip-Chuck said. “At the same time, I credit all of my success to the success that my line with Phoebe Staenz ’17 and Eden Murray ’18 has had together. They’ve really pushed me to raise my game, and it could have been any one of the three of us.”

Yip-Chuck made an immediate impact on Yale’s team, playing in every game her opening year and tying for second-most goals during the 2013–14 season. She also earned her first Rookie of the Month distinction in February of her freshman year.

By her sophomore season, Yip-Chuck led the Bulldogs with 11 goals and went on to be named ECAC Player of the Week in winter 2015.

The third time around for Yale hockey, Yip-Chuck showed continued skill improvement. For the third year in a row, she played every single game of the nearly 30 game season. In addition, she earned a career-high 15 assists.

However, Yip-Chuck is more than just a leader on the ice. She has excelled in the classroom and been a leader to her team outside of the rink as well.

“I had no idea what to expect from Krista when I met her in the fall, but she seems to fit a lot of roles on the hockey team,” forward and defender Kate Tewksbury ’20 said. “As the season began, it was evident that Krista cares deeply about the Yale women’s hockey team. I can tell that she has given everything that she can to this team, and I know that she truly only wants the best for us. She is a great captain.”

Even with two games nearly each weekend from October to February and daily practices dominating her time, Yip-Chuck has managed to earn ECAC Hockey All-Academic honors. To qualify for this award, an athlete must have a minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA, or have a 3.0 or above for the last three competitive seasons. Yip-Chuck, a sociology major, has been named to the ECAC Hockey All-Academic honors list for the past two years in a row.

Already, Yip-Chuck has played a crucial role in Yale’s success for her fourth and final season. She currently leads the Bulldogs in total points and assists, tallying 18 and 12, respectively. She is also second on the team with 42 shots and a +13 plus–minus differential.

“I don’t think I’ve necessarily changed the way I play or act around the rink,” Yip-Chuck said. “But as captain this year, I’ve put a lot more pressure on myself to lead by example in terms of both work ethic and producing reliably. I want to challenge and help make my teammates better every time we step on the ice.”

Over the last month, Yip-Chuck recorded a point in seven of eight games and led the Bulldogs in points and assists. Against Connecticut in the semifinals of the Nutmeg Classic, she assisted on a power-play goal to propel the Elis to overtime where she also tallied a shootout goal to help send Yale to the tournament championship.

The captain has also been one of Yale’s most disciplined skaters during her career. Yip-Chuck was only assessed eight penalties in 92 games during her first three seasons. She has continued her habit of staying out of the penalty box this season, having only been whistled for two penalties through 12 games.

“I think what makes Krista a great leader both on and off the ice is that she is very approachable and level-headed,” forward Jordan Chancellor ’19 said. “I know that I can go to her with anything without judgement. She is very poised even in uncomfortable or difficult situations and everyone on the team looks to her as an example.”

Yip-Chuck has also put her teammates in positions to be successful, providing game-winning assists against Rochester Institute of Technology on Oct. 22 as well as against Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute on Nov. 4. Her leadership will be a pivotal factor in Yale’s next five games, four of which are away from Ingalls Rink. 

“Our expectation is absolutely to win every single one,” Yip-Chuck said. “It will be important for us to build confidence in the first three games heading into the last two on the schedule which we view to be ‘must-win’ conference games.” 

Yip-Chuck and the Bulldogs hit the ice on Saturday against New Hampshire at 3 p.m. at Ingalls Rink.

JOEY KAMM
JANE MILLER