Police pulled the body of a deceased man from the Quinnipiac River early Tuesday afternoon, according to a New Haven Police Department press release.

At about 1 p.m., members of the NHPD, New Haven Fire Department and a United States Coast Guard boat crew arrived to investigate a report of a body in the river, east of the Grand Avenue Bridge. The body was located by New Haven’s Marine Unit 1 and was recovered by divers from the NHPD’s Underwater Search and Recovery Team.

According to the NHPD release, the deceased man is white and probably in his 50s, with a scar on his sternum and gray and brown facial hair. He was found wearing camouflaged pants, an olive-colored jacket, a green T-shirt, and gray and brown sneakers.

“Police suspect they know who this man is but are nevertheless investigating recent missing person reports,” the press release stated. “His identity will only be released once it has been confirmed.”

Police detectives are treating the case as a potential crime, though as of Tuesday evening, there was no further information available on where, when and how the deceased man had ended up in the water, according to the release.

The body has been taken for autopsy by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner and the man’s fingerprints were taken for examination by the NHPD Bureau of Investigation.

In the press release, the NHPD urged anyone with information pertinent to the investigation to call 203-946-6304.

ELIZA FAWCETT