Through June 5, the School of Art’s 32 Edgewood Gallery will host an exhibition of work by alumni of both its undergraduate and graduate programs.

Entitled, “Hey You! Who Me?” the show brings together works by more than 30 artists, including pieces by famed cartoonist Garry Trudeau ’70 ART ’73, sculptor Donald Gummer ART ’73 and photographer An-My Lê ART ’93. Samuel Messer ART ’82, associate dean of the School of Art, noted that the show is among the institution’s first exhibits to focus exclusively on alumni work. Messer said the exhibit — curated by outgoing Dean of the School of Art Robert Storr in his last curatorial effort as head of the school — sheds light on the ongoing artistic dialogue taking place between graduates of the School of Art.

“I think what is important is that Dean Storr created a situation from which students can take away many things, including the fact that work in the arts … does not develop overnight,” Messer explained. “It is also a thoughtful exhibition in that it shows the lineage and history at the School [of Art] and how former students have visual conversations through their art, even if they have never met each other in real life.”

Rosa Chung ’18, an undergraduate art major, said the exhibition is both an amazing opportunity to see work by her predecessors at the School of Art and a chance to reflect on the progress of artists from universities and graduate school to “real life.” Alexis Inguaggiato ’17, another undergraduate art major, echoed Chung’s sentiment, emphasizing the importance of current students see ing postgraduate works.

“I think that this is a good opportunity for both undergraduate and graduate students to see work done by artists who were once also Yale students,” Chung said. “It’s really amazing to think that they were in our same positions however many years ago. It’s nice to believe that we’re all working on the universal problems we face as painters, sculptors, photographers. I personally find it inspiring as I think about my future … as a painter.”

Other students highlighted the importance of the 32 Edgewood Gallery as a space that provides the sorts of opportunities that permit art students to view works they might not encounter in other exhibition spaces on campus.

Steven Roets ’17, an undergraduate art major, said the space, which is open for special exhibitions and events, often offers access to the work of artists associated with the school.

“The School of Art galleries in Green Hall and 32 Edgewood Ave. provide a year-round medium for exhibiting the works of students, faculty and special guests in the four graduate departments of the school and the undergraduate program,” Roets said. “I think the gallery adds depth to the School of Art because, whereas the other galleries [in Green Hall, etc.] are used for student shows and the Yale University Art Gallery and Yale Center for British Art often will have special exhibitions at least partially drawn from their collections, this gallery provides space for showcasing other work that may otherwise not get shown at the University.”

IVONA IACOB