Updated 9:28 p.m.

Police are investigating the stabbing of a Yale student and the probable suicide of the alleged attacker, also a Yale student.

At 5.27 a.m., New Haven police were called to the Taft Apartments at 265 College St., where Alexander Michaud ’17 had been stabbed, reportedly by Tyler Carlisle ’15.

According to initial reports, Carlisle, who graduated with a B.A. in philosophy last Monday, stabbed Michaud moments before jumping from the ninth floor of the building and landing on the third-floor terrace. He died at the scene.

In a college-wide email, Yale College Dean Jonathan Holloway informed members of the community that Carlisle had died after falling from a window of the Taft Apartments and that Michaud was recovering from stab wounds at Yale-New Haven Hospital. At least one witness has been interviewed, according to a release from the NHPD.

Michaud and Carlisle were close friends, according to numerous students, and both were members of the Party of the Right, a constituent party of the Yale Political Union. The students also shared a hometown: Manchester, New Hampshire.

At the time of his death, Carlisle had plans to join the United States Army, several sources said. Raleigh Cavero ’15, calling Carlisle a close friend whom she saw as recently as last Tuesday, said he shared the apartment with another graduating senior but planned to turn over his keys to Michaud and another student who would be taking over the lease for the following academic year. Cavero, a former YTV editor for the News, said he was a mentor to Michaud.

Though one source mentioned discord between the two students in the weeks leading up to the incident, most said they were unaware of anything but friendship and intellectual camaraderie.

Michaud was in a stable condition several hours following the incident, according to the NHPD release. A source with knowledge of Michaud’s condition, but who asked not to be named due to the sensitive nature of the topic, said this evening that Michaud’s condition is “stable but not great.” Michaud was placed in a medically induced coma following the incident, the source said.

Simon Brewer ’16, president of the Yale Political Union, told members of the YPU in an email that plans for a memorial service are still being finalized.

“In this difficult time, we extend our sympathies, thoughts, and prayers to the families of these two members of our community and wish Alexander a complete recovery,” Holloway wrote in his email.

Yale Mental Health and Counseling can be reached between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. at 203-432-0290. Counselors can be reached after 5 p.m. at 203-432-0123.

Stephanie Addenbrooke, Noah Daponte-Smith and Rachel Siegel contributed reporting.

AMAKA UCHEGBU
VIVIAN WANG