The Yale co-ed and women’s sailing teams were back in action this weekend, securing another pair of top finishes just a few weeks out from their championship regattas. The women’s team took home first place at the Emily Wick Trophy, while the co-ed squad secured third at the Fowle Trophy.

The nationally top-ranked women were in state this weekend, as they traveled to New London to compete in the regatta hosted by the Coast Guard Academy. The delegation for the Bulldogs included skippers Morgan Kiss ’15 and Casey Klingler ’18 and crews Natalya Doris ’17 and Isabelle Rossi de Leon ’17. The win for the Elis, who bested 17 other teams including No. 3 Bowdoin, marks the third time in a row that they have claimed the trophy at this regatta.

Kiss and Doris finished first among the A division squads with 70 points, 39 points lower than their closest competitors. Meanwhile, Klingler and Rossi de Leon finished with 102 points on the weekend to finish fourth in the B division.

Kiss noted that the team’s performance this weekend bodes well for the upcoming championship, but that the Bulldogs were still striving to improve in practice.

“I think our team did a great job staying patient and capitalizing on opportunities when we could in this event,” Kiss said. “In the next two weeks, we plan to keep getting as much out of each practice as we can, and spending some more time thinking about our approach to the qualifier as a team. In an 18-race event, it’s important to approach each race consistently and focus on decisions in the moment, rather than the overall outcome.”

Meanwhile the No. 1 co-ed team headed to Boston to compete at the Fowle Trophy regatta. The Bulldogs were unable to secure their sixth consecutive win, but they still managed to finish third with a record of 12–6. The delegation from Yale, which finished third among 12 teams and ahead of Tufts and Harvard, included skippers Graham Landy ’15, Ian Barrows ’17 and Malcolm Lamphere ’18, as well as crews Katherine Gaumond ’15, Charlotte Belling ’16, Clara Robertson ’17, Meredith Megarry ’17, Chandler Gregoire ’17 and Christopher Champa ’18.

Belling noted that although this was not the team’s most consistent performance, they managed to stay resilient throughout the regatta.

“It was important to take each race one at a time and not really get phased … Everyone’s going to have an up and down regatta with the conditions on the Charles,” Belling said. “It’s just important to be able to come back after tough races. Overall, we did a good job keeping our eye on the big picture.”

The regatta this weekend was the New England Championship for the New England Intercollegiate Sailing Association. The top four finishers will move on to the national championships in May. No. 3 Boston College and No. 12 Roger Williams took first and second respectively, followed by Yale and Tufts.

Landy said the finish would encourage the Bulldogs to continue to improve as they head toward the end of the season.

“This offers a little bit of motivation and really pinpoints the areas of improvement needed for nationals,” Landy said. “The goal for this event is always just to qualify. It’s a really tough event to get through knowing it’s always a very deep district for team racing so just to make it through to the nationals is always a success.”

The co-ed team also sent a group of sailors to compete at the Admiral Alymers regatta hosted by Mass Maritime. The Elis’ skippers were KB Knapp ’18, Henry Lewis ’16 and Claire Huebner ’18, and crews were Emily Johnson ’16, Sanam Rastegar ’16 and Chase Skoda ’17. The teams finished ninth overall out of 13 schools.

Next weekend, the co-ed team will host the Owen, Mosbacher and Knapp Trophies at home, while the women will head to the President’s Trophy in Boston.