Playing in snowy conditions on Saturday night, the Yale women’s lacrosse team earned its second victory by six or more points this week in a decisive win over San Diego State.

The Elis (6–5, 1–2 Ivy) took down the Aztecs 12–6 after a pair of three-point runs pushed them ahead in the first half. The win allowed the Elis to regain a winning record this season.

“We played well yesterday despite the weather,” attacker Kiwi Comizio ’18 said. “I think we are somewhat used to it after all the bad weather we have so far this season. Offensively, we moved the ball around really well on attack and had many good, effective transitions. Defensively, we did a really good job of holding a high-scoring offense to very few goals and caused many turnovers in the midfield.”

Just like in its game Wednesday against Boston University, Yale took an early lead in the contest when midfielder Christina Doherty ’15 scored a goal less than a minute into the match. The Elis kept San Diego State scoreless for the first 15 minutes of the game, while finding the back of the net twice in that time with a pair of goals from attacker Hope Hanley ’17.

The Aztecs would not stay shut out for much longer, though. San Diego put itself on the board with two goals scored with 14 and 12 minutes left in the half. However, the Bulldogs took over the offensive effort from that point forward. Yale scored another series of three goals, two of which came less than a minute apart with 10 minutes left before the break. Midfielder Maggie Pizzo ’18 closed the half with a goal scored with just 13 seconds remaining, bringing the score to 6–2 in favor of the Elis.

“I think we were able to use the snow to our advantage,” attacker Tess McEvoy ’17 said. “San Diego was a bit shocked by the cold. We practice and play in this weather all the time, so I think that had people feeling confident.”

The Bulldogs scoring streak continued into after the break. Yale found the back of the net four times without allowing the Aztecs a single goal, bringing the Eli lead up to eight points with only 13 minutes remaining.

The rest of the game was characterized by back-and-forth scoring, although the Bulldogs’ lead never dropped below five goals. Yale ended the contest as strongly as it started, with a last-minute goal from attacker Erin Magnuson ’15 with just 11 seconds to go, bringing the final score in the teams’ first matchup to 12–6.

The Bulldog victory, moreover, snapped a seven-game win streak for the Aztecs.

“It was definitely exciting to play San Diego,” McEvoy said. “It’s always nice to have new competition. They also are a team that typically scores a ton of goals and we held them to under 10 which was great.”

Yale’s defense held San Diego State to just six goals, its lowest in any contest this season. With 24 shots and 22 ground balls, the Eli offense had a good game as well, putting them in a good position for the games to come.

The Bulldogs’ four remaining games are all against Ivy League opponents. According to Comizio, the team is working hard in the hopes of winning all four of those games and advancing to the Ivy League tournament.

“The win against San Diego this weekend gives us a lot of momentum and enthusiasm as we head into the final games of the season,” midfielder Kelly Anne Sherlock ’16 said.

Yale will face Princeton this Saturday at 12 p.m.

HOPE ALLCHIN