For the first time since 1991, the Yale Bulldogs are off to a 2–0 start after sweeping the Providence Friars (0–7–1, 0–0–0 Hockey East) in two games on Friday and Saturday.

Friday’s game in Providence featured goals from six different Bulldogs, in addition to 21 stops from goaltender Jamie Leonoff ’15. It was not until nearly the end of the first period that Yale managed to put one in the net, but from then on the Bulldogs maintained clear control over the Friars. Yale eventually extended its lead to 5–0 until Providence put one past Leonoff in the third period. The game ended in a 6–2 Bulldog victory.

In total, Yale had won 49 faceoffs on the night compared to just 28 for the Friars. Defenseman Taylor Marchin ’17 had four assists on the night, the most for any Bulldog since 2007.

“It feels great … I didn’t really pay much attention to it during the game. I didn’t really know until my coach told me after. It’s fun when that many people are scoring,” Marchin said.

At Ingalls Rink on Saturday, the Bulldogs were once again successful against the Friars despite giving up an early lead. Yale put up four goals before the Friars scored again, and the game ended on a power play goal by Stephanie Mock ’15 for a 5–2 Yale win.

Yale had 33 shots on goal on Saturday, while Providence had just 26. The Bulldogs also managed a shorthanded goal late in the second period to put Yale up 2–1. Down one player, forward Janelle Ferrara ’16 put one past the Friars goaltender on an assist from Krista Yip-Chuck ’17.

Captain Aurora Kennedy ’15, who had one assist on Saturday, attributed the wins to a solid effort at both ends of the rink.

“I think offensively we did a great job hemming them in their zone. Defensively, we did a great job communicating with each other so it just made it a lot easier to break out,” Kennedy said.

Although both Kennedy and Marchin noted that the team had room for improvement, they also stated that they were happy with the results of the season-opening series. Despite an early exhibition against McGill and a scrimmage against Sacred Heart, Marchin stated that the series against Providence was the team’s first true test. Leonoff, who had 24 saves on Saturday, also approved of the team’s start.

“It’s great to already be starting at such a high level,” Leonoff said.

The undefeated start is a good sign for the Bulldogs, who are looking to expand on the improvements made last year. After finishing seventh in the conference during the 2013–’14 season and losing to Harvard in a close playoff series, Yale looks to head further into the playoffs this season.

“We have two big games next weekend, so hopefully we [will] build off what we did this weekend,” Marchin said.

Yale will play St. Lawrence at home on Friday.