By attacking the net with double-doubles in games against Cal State Fullerton and Georgetown over the weekend, freshman setter Kelsey Crawford ’18 began to prove herself as a dynamic addition to the volleyball team. She was named Ivy League Rookie of Week for the second straight time for putting up 42 assists and 11 digs against the Titans and 46 assists and 10 digs against the Hoyas.

The Bulldogs (4–5, 0–0 Ivy)—who have won the Ivy championship the past four years-—lost their star setter and three-time Ivy League Player of the Year Kendall Polan ’14 to graduation last year, but Crawford and fellow setter Kelly Johnson ’16 have emerged as leaders this year. Crawford is averaging 9.90 assists per set, second in the Ivy League behind Princeton sophomore Lauren Miller. On Friday, the Yale women will travel to Providence to battle the Brown Bears in their first conference game of the year. The Bulldogs have been 51–5 in Ivy play since the 2010 season. The News caught up with Crawford to discuss the season thus far.

Q. How did it feel to be named Ivy League Rookie of the Week for the second week in a row?

A. It is very exciting to be named Ivy League Rookie of the Week. We work really hard in practice, and awards like these just help show that hard work we put in everyday.

Q. As a freshman, do you have any mentors on the team this year? Who do you look up to?

A. As a freshman, I look up to everyone because this is a team sport, and everyone plays an important role in influencing the team’s dynamic.

Q. What has been the highlight of the season so far?

A. The highlight of the season so far has been being with my teammates.

Q. How have you gelled with the team so far?

A. My teammates are all super nice and supportive. Everyone genuinely cares about each other while still having a competitive attitude.

Q. The team has been playing a series of away games and will continue to do so. How do you adjust from weekend to weekend?

A. The away games have actually been good because [they force] me to be ahead on all of my homework and studying. They have taught me the essence of time management.

ERICA PANDEY