Although summer vacation would seem to offer a respite from the cold weather sport of ice hockey, many members of the Yale men’s squad have found homes in either the professional ranks or in development camps this summer.

Most recently, forward Jesse Root ’14 reached a deal with the AHL Texas Stars. The 2013-14 Eli captain will join last year’s AHL champion after spending the spring with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers on a tryout contract.

Forward Andrew Miller ’13 agreed to terms with the Edmonton Oilers after achieving a measure of success with the squad’s AHL affiliate last season. The 2012-13 Yale captain put up eight goals and 26 assists for the Oklahoma City Barons, and he will either continue playing for the AHL team or join the NHL squad next season.

In addition to the graduates’ success, current members of the Bulldog squad have honed their skills with professional teams over the offseason. The Chicago Blackhawks’ camp included four Elis: forwards John Hayden ’17 and Ryan Hitchcock ’18, defenseman Ryan Obuchowski ’16 and goalie Alex Lyon ’17. Yale veterans Rob O’Gara ’16 and Mike Doherty ’17 joined the Boston Bruins’ camp, while Matthew Beattie ’16 and captain Tommy Fallen ’15 skated with the Vancouver Canucks.

The Bulldogs embark on their 2014-2015 season on Halloween night against Ivy rival Princeton.

GRANT BRONSDON