The first homicide to strike Orange, Conn., in more than 10 years involved a family with deep Yale ties. On Thursday, Orange police charged 22-year-old Timothy Granata with the murder of his mother, Claudia Dinan MED ’80, after arresting him outside the family’s home. Dinan’s husband, Attilio Granata ’74 MED ’77 is currently an associate clinical professor at the School of Medicine.

Patrol officers and detectives arrived at 130 Wild Rose Dr. shortly after receiving reports at a homicide at around 2 p.m.

“The accused perpetrator was immediately located on Wild Rose Drive, a short distance from the home,” Orange Police Chief Robert Gagne said at a press conference after the arrest. “He was immediately taken into custody by officers.

After being arraigned in Derby Superior Court on Friday morning, he faced a $2 million bail.

Gagne provided few comments regarding the nature of the homicide or on any history of mental health problems exhibited by Granata. He did add that police found Dinan in a room inside the house, and that Granata did not resist arrest.

An Oct. 28, 1984, announcement by the New York Times revealed that Dinan and her husband were married at the St. Thomas More Catholic Chapel located on Park St., after attending the Medical School together. They had three children, and Timothy Granata graduated from the nearby Hopkins School before attending Lehigh University.

The announcement also said that Dinan was a Westminster pulmonary fellow during her time at the Medicine School.

MAREK RAMILO