Emails from Yale Police Department Chief Ronnell Higgins this weekend notified the University community about two robberies near the intersection of Broadway and York St.

Higgins first wrote on Saturday at around 11 p.m., reporting a 9:30 p.m. incident in front of 21 Broadway Ave., where A-1 Pizza is located, in which a non-Yale victim was assaulted and robbed of his cellphone. Higgins added that no weapon was displayed and that the victim only suffered minor injuries. The only information that Higgins included about the suspect was that the individual was a male and that he approached the victim, who was walking by himself at the time.

The Sunday night message, circulated shortly before 2 a.m. Monday morning, reported a robbery around the corner from the site of the first incident. A female undergraduate reported that she had also been assaulted and robbed by a single male while walking by herself on Wall St. near its intersection with York St., where the Hall of Graduate Studies is located.

Again, the assailant did not show any weapons, but Higgins did not indicate whether or not one suspect is believed to be responsible for both incidents. Though the city’s two major police departments tend to collaborate, Higgins said that New Haven police are currently investigating the Saturday night incident, while YPD officers have taken the Sunday night case.

“As a general reminder, it is important to be aware of your surroundings at all times, and to walk or jog with others when possible, in well-populated and well-lit areas,” Higgins said in both emails.

The YPD Daily Crime Log for May 12 did not appear to contain any information regarding either case.

MAREK RAMILO