This day in a capella history. On Sunday night, Whim ‘n Rhythm — Yale’s all-senior, all-female a cappella group — selected its newest class. Current Business Manager Mary Bolt ’14 said that the number of students who auditioned this year is the highest in the group’s 34-year history.

Life after Yale? A recent article from The Atlantic declares, “Businesses Don’t Care If Their Employees Went to Yale.” The claim is based on a recent Gallup survey that found only 9 percent of business leaders say the school on a candidate’s diploma is “very important,” compared to 84 percent who emphasized knowledge in the field. The study also notes that 96 percent of college provosts say students are prepared after graduating, compared to only 14 percent of the public.

Humble origins. According to a recent article in The Courant, Lupita Nyong’o’s DRA ’12 former teachers were not surprised at her rapid rise to fame. Ron Van Lieu, chairman of the acting program at the School of Drama, said accepting her was a “no-brainer” according to the piece. Nyong’o originally auditioned for the School of Drama playing Juliet in a scene from “Romeo and Juliet.”

Yale’s first African-American graduate. Although Edward Bouchet 1876 has long been thought to be Yale’s first African-American graduate, newly discovered documents show that Richard Henry Green 1857 may have that distinction instead. Green was a New Haven native, the son of a local boot maker. The documents were discovered by Rick Stattler when examining his family papers, set to be auctioned in April.

Broadway gives back.
The Broadway Merchants’ Association gave $5000 to JUNTA for Progressive Action on Friday. The donation followed a promotional event in February that raised money and drove foot traffic to shops and restaurants on Broadway.

Culture takes the stage. The International Students’ Association hosted what it declared to be Yale’s biggest cultural show this weekend. Ten student groups performed at “Fireworks!” including Yale Jashan Bhangra, Asemp! and Ballet Folklorico Mexicano de Yale. The event also included hundreds of dollars of free regional food.

Freshman year ramblings. The Daily Princetonian published an online post making fun of their class of 2018 Facebook page. The piece, titled “Why you should check out the Class of 2018 Facebook page,” calls out Princeton freshmen for posting questions such as –“If you had a red notebook, what subject would it be?” and “Do we have to submit our midyear grades?”

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY 1967 The God Squad attempts to convert students through a self-formed band.

YALE DAILY NEWS