A computer simulation in which players can reenact the Newtown Massacre has drawn criticism from many, including U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal who requested today that online vendors take down the game, according to a press release from the senate’s office.

Called “The Slaying of Sandy Hook Elementary” the game was allegedly created by Ryan Jake Lambourm, a native Houstonian who now lives in Sydney, Australia. The game allows players to use a virtual gunman to follow shooter Adam Lanza’s footsteps on the day of the Sandy Hook Elementary school mass shooting, which took the lives of 20 children and 6 adults.

The credits include a link to the National Rifle Association’s Institute for Legislative Action and encourages players to contact lawmakers about passing stricter gun-control measures.

Relatives of Sandy Hook teacher Victoria Soto, one of the victims of the massacre, condemned the game via Twitter Tuesday.

“Please tell us how playing a game that recreates how Vicki died would be beneficial? Please tell us,” a family-endorsed account said in a tweet to Lambourm.

Donna Soto, Victoria’s mother, expressed her disgust towards the game in an interview with Hearst Connecticut Newspapers.

“It’s absolutely disgusting that somebody thinks this is funny,” Soto told Hearst Connecticut Newspapers Tuesday. “We’re all suffering. All the families are suffering. We’re coming up on December.
 My daughter’s birthday just passed. It just adds insult to the suffering that we’re dealing with.”

While many are criticizing the game for its insensitivity and disrespect to the victims, Lambourm claims the game is intended to promote stricter gun control laws.

“Here we are nearly a year after the Sandy Hook shootings in which 26 people were killed and absolutely nothing positive has come out of it,” he wrote in the credits of the game.

The game has been taken down by some online vendors but several are still hosting it.

POOJA SALHOTRA