Just minutes after the football team pulled off a stunner on the West Coast, the men’s soccer team answered with a heart-stopper of its own, scoring two goals in the last three minutes to top archrival Harvard 2–1.

By topping the Crimson (1–6–2, 0–1–0 Ivy) in show-stopping fashion, the Elis (2–6–0, 1–0–0 Ivy) opened up their Ivy League slate in style. But in front of a packed house at Reese Stadium, that result looked very much in doubt as time wound down.

The Bulldogs looked to have the advantage going into the last 20 minutes of the game, putting forth eight shots compared to Harvard’s four. In the 69th minute, however, a Crimson corner kick was deflected before Harvard forward A.J. Agha poked it into Yale’s net, giving the visitors a 1–0 lead. 

The Elis kept pressing for an equalizer by launching a further six shots, forcing the Harvard goalkeeper into four saves. Still, the Bulldogs looked to be headed for their sixth straight loss as the clock ticked down.

Finally, in the 88th minute, Yale put a corner kick into the Harvard six yard box. The ball was not controlled by either team and in the ensuing scramble, Yale forward Conner Lachenbruch ’15 managed to place the ball into the net to tie the game at 1–1.

But the Bulldogs had a few more bones to pick with their arch-rivals. After Harvard committed a foul in the last minute of regulation, Eli midfielder Henos Musie ’15, a transfer from Sweden, stepped up and hit a free kick that deflected off the Harvard wall towards the left corner of the Crimson’s net. Goalkeeper Brett Condrad, assuming the ball was heading right, could not recover, and Musie’s shot entered the goal to give the Elis a 2–1 lead with 40 seconds left in the contest. 

As the final whistle blew, Bulldogs fans stormed the field to celebrate a thrilling victory. Yale snapped a six-game winless streak and kept its undefeated Ivy League record alive. 

The Bulldogs will play at Albany on Tuesday at 7:00 PM.

FREDERICK FRANK