Yale students interested in technology now have a new way to search for jobs.

Last month, HackYale — an organization that provides student-run lectures on web development, design and programming to Yale students — launched a new service that allows students to find job opportunities and internships at technology companies. Known as HackYale Jobs, the new website primarily features small startup companies handpicked by members of HackYale.

“The goal is to give students as much information as possible when trying to decide which job or internship to pursue, and to give companies as much of a voice as possible when trying to recruit students,” said Zack Reneau-Wedeen ’14, a co-director of HackYale.

The website currently displays brief descriptions for 10 technology companies, along with contact information and details about job openings.

A representative of HackYale has spoken personally with each company and can say with confidence that the jobs being offered are quality opportunities, said Rafi Khan ’16, the other co-director of HackYale.

Reneau-Wedeen said he came up with the idea for HackYale Jobs during the spring of his junior year, when he began thinking about finding a job after graduation.

“It seems like the default move [for Yale students] is to look toward recruitment on campus,” he said. “One area that’s really left out [is] smaller companies because they don’t necessarily have the resources to send people here and recruit.”

Khan said HackYale Jobs helps students because it draws attention to opportunities at small companies. This emphasis differentiates HackYale Jobs from services provided by Undergraduate Career Services, said Aayush Upadhyay ’14, a member of HackYale and Yale Bootup, an organization that hosts annual hackathons for Yale students.

The registration process for employers recruiting through UCS often requires that a company prove it is a verified employer and provide other credentials, Upadhyay said.

“It would happen [frequently] that a startup or a small tech company has five, maybe 10 people, no [human resources] department, and they just don’t want to go through all the bureaucracy,” Upadhyay said. “So it’s easier to have this website where you can put up all this information.”

Reneau-Wedeen said HackYale Jobs does not intend to compete with UCS and will not set up any interviews or be actively involved in the hiring process. Instead, the new service will feature opportunities that students might not discover otherwise and provide a starting-off point for students seeking jobs, he said.

The website has already garnered thousands of hits within a couple weeks of opening, Reneau-Wedeen said, adding that about 10 new companies have already reached out to HackYale asking for their names to be put on the list.

Though Michael Wu ’15, a computer science major, said the service will be a great way for sophomores and juniors to get in touch with startups, he added that “most computer science majors will probably still go through UCS.”

Still, Wu said he appreciated how the website includes some personal contacts at companies. When students apply to jobs at larger firms through UCS it can take weeks for them to hear back, and the process can feel less personal, he said.

Not all the jobs posted on the website are software engineering jobs, Khan said. There are also some product management jobs and positions for those with a background in economics.

“We’re kind of just acting as that middleman service that makes each party aware of the other because that infrastructure isn’t really in place at Yale,” Reneau-Wedeen said.

The site will likely add around five to 10 new companies by the end of the semester, he said.

LILLIAN CHILDRESS