By the end of day one, both the men’s and women’s golf teams came out on top. By the end of day two, both sets of Eli golfers had clinched a tournament victory.

The Bulldogs made the trek north this weekend for the men’s team to compete in The Doc Gimmler at Bethpage Red in New York, while the women headed to Hanover to participate in the Dartmouth Invitational tournament to defend their title.

“Everyone on the team kept their composure on the course and everyone stayed calm and positive throughout the tournament,” women’s team captain Sunny Park ’14 said. “We encouraged and supported each other whenever we saw each other and that boosted the overall morale on the team, to do better individually to contribute to the overall team score.”

Ivy competitors Harvard, Princeton and Columbia joined the Bulldogs in Farmingdale while Brown, Dartmouth and neighbor Quinnipiac accompanied the women’s program in Hanover. The men’s team finished day one with an eight stroke lead in which Joe Willis ’16 shot a 63 for a -9 finish in his first round. For the women’s squad, Elisabeth Bernabe ’17 posted a 68 to lead the Elis to their second-straight Dartmouth Invitational Title.

“Joe led the team this week. He played some unbelievable golf and made a ton of birdies. He had a few bad holes but was very poised and handled adversity very well,” men’s team captain Sam Bernstein ’14 said.

Harvard was the closest to the men’s team after day one with a -6 finish overall and a team score of 554. After last weekend’s loss to No. 22 Texas A&M, Yale got the quick rebound the team was seeking. Jonathan Lai ’17 ended day one with a tally of 135 and the team second-best -5 finish. Bernstein finished with 140 strokes, as did teammate William Davenport ’15.

“Last weekend we lost to a team that won the national title a few years back. So we were not too disappointed considering what we were up against and continued working hard in practice this past week,“ Bernstein said.

While the men’s team was looking to bounce back from a tough loss the prior weekend, the women’s program looked to defend last years’ title.

Starting the season with a school record 286 after 18 holes was a commanding outset to accompany the explosive entry into the 2013-’14 season. In addition to Bernabe’s 68, Marika Liu ’15 made par with a 72 while Seo Hee Moon ’14 and Sandy Wongwaiwate ’17 ended the first day of competition with a pair of 73s. The Bulldogs remained consistent to finish the weekend, scoring just three strokes more and finishing day two with a 289. The next closest team, The BU Terriers, finished a total of 23 strokes behind the Bulldogs.

“As defending champions, we wanted to take the title again,” Park said. “Everyone on the team strived toward our goals for the weekend and showed much of Yale pride and spirit to best represent Yale.”

In individual contest, Bernabe earned an individual medal by scoring a 73 in day two for a combined score of 141.

In day two of The Doc Gimmler, the Bulldogs teed-off at 9 a.m. and Willis scored an individual tournament win, helping lead the Elis to the team title. Willis scored a 199 to finish -11 overall, while Lai tied for third in the tournament with a scorecard reading of 205. Sean Gaudette tallied a total of 212 to help push Yale to its first tournament win of the 2013-’14 season while Bernstein clinched a seventh place finish and Davenport earned an 11th place finish.

The women’s team will host the annual Yale Intercollegiate in New Haven Sept. 20-22 while the men’s program will next compete on the course in the Notre Dame Invitational in South Bend on Sept. 23-24.