THE NEWS

• On the eve of “National Constitution Day,” a constitutional law expert debated one of the U.S.’s most accomplished legislators about lessons from the Founders. The debate, which was held in a packed Sheffield-Sterling-Strathcona Hall, pitted Yale Law professor Akhil Amar ’80 LAW ’84 against former GOP Speaker of the House and 2012 presidential contender Newt Gingrich. At the discussion, the two participants addressed issues such as gun control and voting rights.
  • Six years after the historic home of early 20th century Yale rowers was razed to the ground, a new boathouse will soon rise over the waters of the New Haven Harbor. City and state officials joined a group of construction workers Monday morning to break ground on a two-storied, hurricane-tolerant community boathouse that will lie at the site of the former Canal Dock shipping pier, on the western edge of the city’s harbor. Entirely funded by the state and federal government, the brand-new $37-million facility will be a replica of the historic George Adee Memorial Boathouse, which was demolished in 2007 to allow for the expansion of Interstate 95 along the harbor.
  • The storied athletic rivalry between Yale and Harvard gained another milestone this weekend, as the Yale men’s cross country runners faced their Crimson opponents for the 100th time at the annual Harvard-Yale duel meet. In the meet, which also marked the opening race of the season for both the men’s and women’s cross country teams, neither squad proved able of rising to the occasion before them. The women’s team kept the event close, falling 39–20 to Harvard, while the Crimson men swept the top five positions to dominate the Elis by a score of 42-15.

THE WEATHER

High of 66 degrees, low of 41 degrees, sunny.

THE FOOD

In the colleges

Breakfast: Hard Cooked Eggs, Vegan Waffles, Waffle, Pumpkin Tea Bread, Fresh Fruit, Steel Cut Oatmeal, Waffle Bar

Lunch: Baja Fish Tacos with Chipotle Sour Cream, Beef Barbocoa, Paella with Vegetables and Chickpeas, Roasted Tomato Soup with Black Beans, New Mexican Green Chile Stew, Tomato and Avocado Salad with Cumin Vinaigrette, Quinoa Salad with Roasted Jalapenos, Baja Chicken Rollup, Red Pepper Hummus,  Kitchen Sink Cookies, Apple Walnut Bars, Fresh Fruit, Buffalo Chicken Quesadilla, Monterey Jack Cheese Quesadilla

Dinner: St Louis Style Barbecue Sparerib, BBQ Beef Sandwich, Garlic and Cheddar Grits, Barbecued Beans, Roasted Tomato Soup with Black Beans, New Mexican Green Chile Stew, Tomato and Avocado Salad with Cumin Vinaigrette, Caramelized Sweet Potatoes, Chocolate Raspberry Ring, Fresh Fruit, Grilled Portobello Mushroom Sandwich

In Commons

Breakfast: Hard Cooked Eggs, Cage Free Scrambled Eggs, Cage Free Scrambled Egg Whites, Vegan Waffles, Waffle, Chefs Choice Omelet, O Brien Potatoes, Pumpkin Tea Bread, Fresh Fruit, Texas French Toast, Steel Cut Oatmeal, Waffle Bar, Sliced Bacon

Lunch: Baja Fish Tacos with Chipotle Sour Cream, Beef Barbocoa, Paella with Vegetables and Chickpeas, Roasted Tomato Soup with Black Beans, New Mexican Green Chile Stew, Tomato and Avocado Salad with Cumin Vinaigrette, Quinoa Salad with Roasted Jalapenos, Baja Chicken Rollup, Red Pepper Hummus,  Kitchen Sink Cookies, Apple Walnut Bars, Cheese Pizza, Pepperoni Pizza, Fresh Tomato Vegan Pizza, Jasmine Rice, Vegetable Stir Fry with Broccoli and Tofu, Vegetable Fried Rice, Vegan Curry Tofu

YALE DAILY NEWS