THE NEWS

• Although administrators heralded the death of the Blue Book several years ago, the publication continues to be a fixture of shopping period. The Yale College Programs of Study, more commonly known among students as the Blue Book, is available to Yale students again this year, despite the administration’s announcement in September 2011 that the publication would be permanently discontinued after that academic year. Since then, Yale continued to print the book, mailing it to all freshmen and interested upperclassmen, until the University stopped all mailings this year and chose to offer the books to students on campus instead. Although the Registrar’s Office launched a new online version of the Blue Book in July, University Registrar Gabriel Olszewski said his office does not have any plans to discontinue the print version.
  • A new stop at the recently opened West Haven train station will help make Yale’s West Campus more accessible to visiting researchers this year. After more than a decade of planning and $130 million in state funding, the station officially opened to Metro North and Shoreline East line traffic on Aug. 19. West Campus researchers said the station may improve the commute for Yale faculty as well as facilitate collaboration between West Campus and peer institutions. While shuttles to West Campus used to run every hour, shuttles now travel as frequently as three times an hour from the station to West Campus, a development that signals the campus’ increasing connectedness and importance to the University, said Vice President for West Campus planning and program development Scott Strobel.

• A busy intersection on the outskirts of Yale’s campus is getting a makeover in the interests of pedestrian safety and commercial retail, with the University pitching in to help foot the bill for a project that seeks to create a safe and vibrant hub of shopping in the heart of New Haven’s downtown. What began as a plan to ease vehicular traffic at the corner of Whitney Avenue and Audubon Street has grown into a full-fledged architectural overhaul of the intersection. Elevated and textured paving, curb extensions and new trees and lights will ease pedestrian crossing and reduce the speed of traffic, while a new sidewalk seating space will transform the intersection into a destination for outdoor dining and other commercial activity, Jim Travers, the director of the city’s Department of Transportation, Traffic and Parking, said.

THE WEATHER

High of 78 degrees, low of 63 degrees, scattered thunderstorms.

THE FOOD

In the colleges

Breakfast: Hard Cooked Eggs, Orange Fiesta Ring, Fresh Fruit, Fresh Market Fruit, Steel Cut Oatmeal, Steel Cut Oatmeal Bar

Lunch: North Carolina Pulled Pork Sandwich, Berkeley Macaroni and Cheese, Wild Mushroom Chili, Korean Style Barbecued Short Ribs, Miso Glazed Salmon, Peanutty Tofu, Orzo Vegetable Soup, Thai Coconut Shrimp Soup, Tomato and Watermelon Salad, Farro with Blueberries and Nectarines Salad, Peanut Butter and Apple Sandwich, Roasted Garlic Hummus, Scallion Jasmine Rice, Fresh Market Vegetable, Gingersnap Cookies, Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Icing, Apple Walnut Bars, Fresh Fruit, Fresh Market Fruit, Hand Breaded Chicken Tenders, Chicken Banh Mi Sandwich, Barbecue Sauce, Duck Sauce, Honey Mustard Dip

Dinner: Grilled-to-order All-Natural Burgers & Cheeseburgers, All-Natural Chicken Breasts, Vegan Black Bean Veggie Burgers

In Commons

Breakfast: Eggplant Pizza, Curry Chicken Breast Stir Fry, Chef’s Choice Vegetable Stir Fry, Vegetable Stir Fry with Broccoli and Tofu, Vegetable Fried Rice, Jasmine Rice, Vegetable Stir Fry with Zucchini and Spinach, Hard Cooked Eggs, Cage Free Scrambled Eggs, Cage Free Scrambled Egg Whites, Vegan Waffles, Waffle, O Brien Potatoes, Orange Fiesta Ring, Fresh Fruit, Buttermilk Pancakes, Steel Cut Oatmeal, Waffle Bar, Sliced Bacon

Lunch: North Carolina Pulled Pork Sandwich, Berkeley Macaroni and Cheese, Wild Mushroom Chili, Penne Pasta, Bolognese Sauce, Orzo Vegetable Soup, Thai Coconut Shrimp Soup, Tomato and Watermelon Salad, Farro with Blueberries and Nectarines Salad, Peanut Butter and Apple Sandwich, Roasted Garlic Hummus, Fresh Market Vegetable, Gingersnap Cookies, Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Icing, Fresh Fruit, Hand Breaded Chicken Tenders, Cheese Pizza, Pepperoni Pizza, Barbecue Sauce, Duck Sauce, Honey Mustard Dip

YALE DAILY NEWS