THE NEWS

• In the aftermath of Sandy Hook, lawmakers passed a bipartisan bill that contained an expanded ban on assault weapons and a limit on the size of ammunition magazines, among others provisions, making Connecticut a national leader in the fight for tighter gun control measures. Top lawmakers and activists from both sides of the aisle lauded the effort as a wide-ranging package of improvements that used the Newtown shooting as an impetus for broader reforms. But it remains to be seen whether the new law will be strong enough to prevent another tragedy like Newtown or achieve the broader reform that advocates sought. Underscoring this effort is another, more fundamental question: Is it possible to prevent a tragedy? Michelle Hackman explores in tomorrow’s News.
  • The development office is working around the clock and the world to secure a number of large gifts as University President Richard Levin’s tenure draws to a close. Vice President for Development Joan O’Neill said she, development staff and administrators have set up more fundraising meetings for the end of the academic year this year than they have in previous years. Efforts are still concentrated on raising money for the capital budget, as well as a few other projects — such as the two new residential colleges — that Levin had hoped to see completed before the end of his tenure. O’Neill said it is unlikely that the University will raise the outstanding costs associated with the construction of the two new colleges and a new biology facility before Levin steps down.
  • In cities across the country, domestic terrorism is a daily reality, said Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter at a talk on Monday afternoon. 
    Before an audience of students and community members that included Mayor John DeStefano Jr., Nutter said urban areas in the United States are defined by a culture of violence. Nutter, who also serves as president of the U.S. Conference of Mayors, emphasized the government’s inability to enact gun safety legislation and presented the “Sandy Hook principles” — a code of conduct for gun-affiliated corporations to protect American citizens that was written by the U.S. Conference of Mayors. Nutter said roughly 30 firearms homicides occur per day in the United States but politicians have not given proper attention to the prevalence and destructive nature of gun violence.

THE WEATHER

High of 53 degrees, low of 40 degrees, slight chance of showers.

THE FOOD

In the colleges

Breakfast: Steelcut Oats, Waffle Bar, Cranberry-Orange Tea Bread (no nuts)

Lunch: Pork & Hominy Soup (Pozole), Roasted Tomato & Black Bean Soup, Chipotle Tomato Salsa, Chilaquiles Tomato Salsa, Chilaquiles Verdes, Chile-Cumin Shredded Beef Tacos, All-Natural Grilled Chicken Breast, Grilled Garden Burger, All-Natural Grilled Cheeseburger, All-Natural Grilled Burger, Mexico City Chicken Sandwich, The Mexican Wrap, Peruvian Cilantro Brown Rice, Fresh Market Vegetable, Quinoa with Roasted Jalapenos, Brazilian Black Bean Salad, Oatmeal Cranberry Cookie

Dinner: Pork & Hominy Soup (Pozole), Roasted Tomato & Black Bean Soup, Southwest Pasta, Mexican Grilled Vegetable Flatbread, All-Natural Grilled Chicken Breast, Grilled Garden Burger, All-Natural Grilled Cheeseburger, All-Natural Grilled Burger, Lime & Cilantro Carne Asada, Diri et pois coloes (Haitian Rice & Red Beans), Fresh Market Vegetable, Quinoa with Roasted Jalapenos, Brazilian Black Bean Salad, Pastel de Tres Leche

In Commons

Breakfast: Cream Of Wheat Without Milk, Waffle Bar, Omelets To-Order, Texas French Toast, Cage-Free Scrambled Eggs, Scrambled Egg Whites, Bacon Slices, Shredded Potatoes, Cranberry-Orange Tea Bread (no nuts)

Lunch: Escarole & Sausage Soup, Cream Of Fresh Mushroom Soup, Turkey Mango Chili, Vegen Shepherd’s Pie, Spaghetti, Bean Burger, BBQ Beef On Bun, Pepperoni Pizza, Fresh Tomato & Basil Pizza (Vegan), Cheese Pizza, Broccoli & Tofu, Shrimp Fried Rice, Jasmine Rice, Vegetable Curry, Italian Deli Zep, Dirty Rice, Fresh Market Vegetable, Roasted Butternut Squash, Quinoa with Roasted Jalapenos, Brazilian Black Bean Salad, Oatmeal Cranberry Cookie

YALE DAILY NEWS