A Mighty Duck. In keeping with the Yale men’s hockey team tradition of winning, hockey forward Antoine Laganiere ’13  has signed a two-year deal with the Anaheim Ducks. Laganiere, who contributed an assist in Saturday’s championship win over Quinnipiac, collected 15 goals and 14 assists in 37 games this season. Since his deal was signed after the NHL’s trade deadline, though, he will not be eligible to play during this year’s playoffs.

Yale’s Voice. Student band “A Streetcar Named Funk” took home first place at last night’s “Battle of the Bands,” an annual event co-hosted by the Yale College Council and WYBC that features student bands competing to open at Spring Fling. “The Teaspoons” took second place and the band “Sister Helen” came in third at yesterday’s event, which filled The Crypt to capacity.

And the results are in. The end has finally come for a fairly uneventful Yale College Council elections season, in which three board positions went uncontested. Rachel Tobin ’15 won the Junior Class Council presidential run-off with 50.88 percent of the vote, edging out her opponent Nancy Xia ’15 by just 1.76 percent. The run-off election took place on Monday and Tuesday, after the original JCC presidential race of four candidates reached no decisive conclusion.

Innovator. Yale alum and former lacrosse player for the Bulldogs Luke Aronson ’12 has launched a new business, StringKing, that aims to revolutionize the lacrosse playing field through its primary product: special mesh pockets designed to improve the consistency and aim of lacrosse sticks. According to a Tuesday article in The Boston Globe, StringKing has drawn attention for using mesh that is “unaffected by rain and will never ‘bag out.’” No word yet on whether these high-quality products will be available at Campus Customs.

A program in addiction medicine at the School of Medicine has received accreditation by the American Board of Addiction Medicine Foundation, bringing the national total of similar programs up to 18. Yale will offer four fellowships with the new program.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY 1980 University administrators announce plans to cut $290,000 from the athletic budget for the following year, just days after University President A. Bartlett Giamatti ’60 GRD ’64 delivers a speech calling for restrictions in athletic recruitment and scheduling across the Ivy League. In addition, the University Budget Committee informs Athletic Director Frank Ryan that up to six varsity sports may be cut due to financial constraints.

Submit tips to Cross Campus crosscampus@yaledailynews.com

YALE DAILY NEWS