THE NEWS

• For the first time in recent memory, students gathered outside a monthly Yale College faculty meeting to protest. “Was Tolstoy a 97 or a 96?” read the hastily scrawled words on one student’s posterboard. “Yale is stressful enough,” read another. Students stationed themselves outside Davies Auditorium, where the April Yale College faculty meeting took place, to protest a variety of proposals to overhaul Yale’s grading system, including the adoption of a 100-point grading scale and a recommended rubric of grade distributions. The potential grading changes follow decades of steadily rising average GPAs across Yale College: the gentleman’s C, it seemed, had become the gentleman’s B. And after 62 percent of the grades awarded in a single semester were in the A-range last spring, many professors have acknowledged that grading in Yale College is headed in a dangerous direction. Jane Darby Menton investigates grade inflation in tomorrow’s News.
  • The Divinity School’s $800,000 budget deficit has forced Divinity School Dean Gregory Sterling to put some of his plans for the school on hold. Sterling, who came to the Divinity School in August 2012 after serving as dean of the University of Notre Dame’s Graduate School, has been restructuring the school’s administration in an effort to make the school operate in a more cost-effective way and has postponed some of his initial plans to focus on the deficit.
  • A former graduate student who was repeatedly assaulted and raped during her time on campus a decade ago is suing the University for negligence in their security, healthcare and sexual misconduct response. The plaintiff, Natasa Mateljevic GRD ’07, lived on campus and worked in the physics department when she had several abusive interactions with Rafael Crespo, Jr. between December 2002 and December 2004. In the suit, Mateljevic alleges that she notified University members, including faculty and peers, but was not provided adequate protection from harm and was not effectively educated on possible crime reporting mechanisms.

THE WEATHER

High of 54 degrees, low of 41 degrees, rain likely.

THE FOOD

In the colleges

Breakfast: Steelcut Oats, Waffle Bar, Orange Fiesta Coffee Ring

Lunch: Spinach & Sausage Soup, Cream Of Roasted Butternut Squash Soup, All Natural Beef & Cheddar Pizza, Cheese Pizza, All-Natural Grilled Chicken Breast, Grilled Garden Burger, All-Natural Grilled Cheeseburger, Grilled Garden Burger, Pesto Chicken Sandwich, Turkey Caesar Wrap, Orzo With Sundried Tomatoes, Fresh Market Vegetable, Greek Bean Salad, Roasted Mushrooms & Barley Salad, Chocolate Mint Oreo Cupcake, Honey Walnut Cookie

Dinner: Spinach & Sausage Soup, Cream Of Roasted Butternut Squash Soup, Pork Loin with Peppers, Sweet & Sour Eggplant, Mustard Parmesan Chicken, Fettucini Alfredo, All-Natural Grilled Chicken Breast, Grilled Garden Burger, All-Natural Grilled Cheeseburger, All-Natural Grilled Burger, Turkey Burger With Spinach, Rosemary & Garlic Roasted Potatoes, Fresh Market Vegetable, Greek Bean Salad, Roasted Mushrooms & Barley Salad, Fruit Cheesecake Kiss

In Commons

Breakfast: Grits, Cage-Free Scrambled Eggs, Scrambled Egg Whites, Waffle Bar, Omelets To Order, Sausage Links, Potato Pancakes, Orange Fiesta Coffee Ring

Lunch: Italian Sausage & Pasta Soup, Corn Chowder, Chili Con Carne, Spaghetti, Chicken Pesto Sandwich, Tofu Teriyaki, Pepperoni Pizza, Cheese Pizza, Broccoli Bianca Pizza, Vegetable Lo Mein, Green Bean & Tofu, Vegetable Fried Rice, Jasmine Rice, General Tso’s Chicken, BLAT Sandwich, Cilantro Rice, Fresh Market Vegetable, Fresh Corn On The Cob, Dawn’s Panzanella, Chocolate Mint Oreo Cupcake, Honey Walnut Cookie

YALE DAILY NEWS