THE NEWS

• Following the recent appointment of the first Latin American pope Jorge Bergoglio, the region is becoming increasingly important in the sphere of global politics, according to former President of the Dominican Republic Leonel Fernandez. Fernandez, who led the Dominican Republic from 1996 to 2000 and 2004 to 2012, addressed a crowd of roughly 100 students and faculty at the Yale Law School on Tuesday. Fernandez spoke about Latin America’s economic growth in recent years and touched on the importance of the Latino community in the United States.
  • Last Saturday, 24 business students from four U.S. business schools participated in the School of Management’s inaugural integrated leadership case competition, where students attempted to solve a simulated scenario that could arise in the business world. 
    In teams of four, competitors from the Wharton School of Business, Penn State Smeal College of Business, New York University Stern School of Business and SOM had to analyze a “raw” case — an online, interactive case with several multimedia elements that is only used by SOM. Unlike traditional cases, which ask students clearly defined, written problems, “raw” cases require students to locate the problems by themselves after analyzing various primary sources. SOM students, professors and administrators said the case competition — the first one at SOM to include peer business schools — exemplified SOM’s interdisciplinary approach to the business world and highlighted elements of the school’s core curriculum, which aims to combine academic coursework and practical experience.
  • A new website designed by Calhoun Intramural sports secretary Ben Sherman ’13 means Yalies will no longer have to make the long trek to the IM fields to find that a team has forfeited. The website, which officially launched on Thursday, allows students from every college to sign up for the specific games they can attend and sends two email alerts to confirm their participation. Sherman started developing the website during the student-run Hackathon on Feb. 18 and 19 — one week after two Calhoun IM teams he captained were forced to forfeit their last games — and received positive feedback on the website after he submitted it to the YCC’s App Challenge on March 1. Sherman said he designed the website to encourage greater participation in IMs because he thinks more students will participate if they were ensured there would be enough players.

THE WEATHER

High of 71 degrees, low of 52 degrees, chance showers.

THE FOOD

In the colleges

Breakfast: Steelcut Oats, Waffle Bar, Apple Danish

Lunch: Vegan Yellow Split Pea Soup, Matzoh Ball Soup, Spinach & Feta Quiche, Chicken Souvlaki, All-Natural Grilled Chicken Breast, Grilled Garden Burger, All-Natural Grilled Cheeseburger, All-Natural Grilled Burger, Falafel Pita Sandwiches with Tahini, Eggplant Muhammara Sandwich, Lemon Mint Israeli Couscous, Fresh Market Vegetable, Roasted Cauliflower Salad with Tahini Dressing, Tabbouleh, Magic Bar, Chocolate Chip Cookie

Dinner: Manhattan Clam Chowder, Baja Fish Tacos with Chipotle Sour Cream, Picnic Barbecued Chicken, All-Natural Grilled Chicken Breast, Grilled Garden Burger, Hand Shaped Slider Burger, Grilled Portabella Mushroom Sandwich, Fresh Market Vegetable, Classic Potato Salad, Broccoli Coleslaw, S’more Brownie, Devils Food Cake 

In Commons

Breakfast: Steelcut Oats, Cage-Free Scrambled Eggs, Apple Cinnamon Dairyless Pancakes, Waffle Bar, Omelets To-Order, Scrambled Egg Whites, Red Bliss Home Fries, Apple Danish

Lunch: Thai Coconut Chicken Soup, Minestrone, Chard & Gruyere Tart, Grilled Chicken In Spiced Yogurt & Mint, Penne, Grilled Cheese & Tomato On Wheat, Pepperoni Pizza, Cheese Pizza, Mushroom Pizza, Vegetable Lo Mein, Chicken & Broccoli, Vegetable Fried Rice, Jasmine Rice, Curried Tofu, Thai Vegetable Wrap with Tofu, Noodle Kugel, Fresh Market Vegetable, Fresh Green Bean-Garlic Saute, Turkish Chopped Salad, Tabbouleh, Magic Bar, Chocolate Chip Cookie

YALE DAILY NEWS