Despite the Bulldogs’ spirited second half, Princeton’s six-goal streak in the first half was enough to finish off the women’s lacrosse team 14-9 on Alumni Day.

The No. 18 Tigers (7-3, 4-0 Ivy) entered Reese Stadium on a three-game winning streak and in a three-way tie for first in the Ivy League. The day started well for Yale (6-5, 0-4 Ivy) when team captain Devon Rhodes ’13 scored the first goal of the game less than five minutes into the game. Five minutes later, a goal by midfielder Erin Magnuson ’15 tied the game at 2-2. But six Princeton goals in the last 20 minutes of the first half seemed to dampen the heightened atmosphere of Alumni day and provided enough of a cushion for the talented Princeton squad, including senior Jaci Gassaway, who scored five goals in the half.

“Princeton’s scoring streak in the first half definitely cost us because we played right with them in the second half but it was too hard to come back from the goal difference,” midfielder Lauren Wackerle ’16 said.

The Bulldogs boasted a strong second half, tying the Tigers 6-6 in the final 30 minutes of play. Yale came out of the break and scored four of the first six goals, leaving the score at 10-7. However this was the closest the Elis would come, and Princeton finished with a 14–9 win.

Rhodes, who was honored with a framed jersey, scored four goals and tied her career-high seasongoal total, reaching 27 on the season. The game also featured a four-goal performance from Daniggelis. Midfielder Christina Doherty ’15 added two assists while goalkeeper Erin McMullan ‘14 had nine saves on 23 shots. Although Yale was able to cut down on fouls, getting whistled 19 times compared to 31 for Princeton, the Bulldogs were outshot and committed more turnovers in addition to picking up four yellow cards.

“I think this game showed us that when we play our best we can play with anyone,” Daniggelis said. “Unfortunately we weren’t able to string together a complete game, but it shows progress in the right direction.”

Yale will look for its first Ivy League win against Colombia next Saturday at 3 p.m. It will be played in Oceanside as part of a fundraising event for Hurricane Sandy relief.

FREDERICK FRANK