After a slow start on the scoreboard, the No. 16 men’s lacrosse team caught its stride in the second quarter, outscoring Providence by five goals en route to a 13–6 victory.

On Tuesday night, Yale (5–3, 1–2 Ivy) defeated the Providence Friars (7-4, 1-2 Big East) 13–6 in its first nonconference game since Ivy League competition began, following the Bulldogs’ 7–6 overtime win over Penn on Saturday. The Eli offense continued to click, with both attackman Conrad Oberbeck ’15 and forward Kirby Zdrill ’13 netting three goals apiece and Ivy League co-player of the week and Yale leading-scorer Brandon Mangan ’14 adding three assists. Though Tuesday matchups present a quick turnaround for the Elis, captain Mike McCormack ’13 says he believes the Elis handled the short span between games effectively.

“Midweek games are always difficult preparation-wise, and I think that the team did a great job doing the little things right,” McCormack said. “There was not much turnaround time from Penn on Saturday, and it was nice to see that we were able to focus mentally and pull out a solid win.”

The Elis once again dominated the Friars by outshooting 37–28 and picking up 37 out of 58 ground balls. Faceoff specialist Dylan Levings ’14 picked up a team-leading 12 ground balls and won 85 percent of his faceoffs, taking 17 of 20.

While the first quarter was fairly even-matched, Yale burst away from the Friars in the second quarter and maintained a lead through the second half. The Elis began the second quarter with an untouchable 5–0 scoring run, eventually outscoring the Friars 7–2 in the second quarter alone.

The Bulldogs’ pace was much too fast for Providence to keep up with in the second half as the Elis again outscored Providence in the third quarter 3–1, and again by 2–0 in the final quarter of play.

This Saturday, Yale will take on a Dartmouth squad that has struggled on offense this year. In last week’s loss to Cornell, the Big Green put up five goals compared to Cornell’s 21. In comparison, the Elis were able to net twice as many opportunities against Cornell on March 16, for a total of 10 goals to the Big Red’s 12. Still, team members do not expect Dartmouth to go down without a fight.

“Like any Ivy League game, Dartmouth will definitely be a grind,” McCormack said. “We are looking to finish out the week with a few solid practices, and hopefully we can carry this momentum into our game on Saturday.”

The Bulldogs have defeated the Big Green in the past three conference matchups, but the games have been close. Twice, Yale won by two goals, and once, the Bulldogs gained a five-goal victory.

“Against a tough Ivy team like Dartmouth, it’s important to focus on the process of getting all the little details right,” Zdrill said.

The Dartmouth game will give the Elis a chance to even their conference record to .500 with two additional conference games to play after Saturday’s matchup.

“We are still a work in progress,” head coach Andy Shay said. “We need guys who think they have secondary roles to fill primary ones in the moment.”

The Ivy League opponents will face off at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday at Reese Stadium.