Whether accepted or rejected, applicants to Yale next year will see a new signature on their admissions letters.

Jeremiah Quinlan, deputy dean of undergraduate admissions, is set to become dean of undergraduate admissions beginning this summer, following the departure of Dean Jeffrey Brenzel, who served seven years in the position and will step down at the end of the 2012-’13 academic year. Quinlan has spearheaded efforts to increase socioeconomic diversity, such as establishing the Student Ambassadors Program and leading Yale’s collaboration with Questbridge, a college access program, and he will serve as the admissions dean for the next five years. He has also served as the inaugural Yale-NUS dean of admissions and financial aid.

“I’ve had a terrific experience working with Jeremiah over a 10-year period, and he’s either been the leader or a key participant in most of our initiatives,” Brenzel said in an email to the News.

Quinlan, 32, graduated with honors from Yale in 2003 and was immediately hired as an assistant director in the Admissions Office. He was named the office’s director of outreach and recruitment in 2005, and — after pursuing a degree at Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management — became deputy dean of undergraduate admissions in 2010.

University Secretary and Vice President for Student Affairs Kimberly Goff-Crews chaired the nine-person search committee for the new admissions dean, following Brenzel’s October announcement that he planned to step down. Brenzel will remain on campus as master of Timothy Dwight College and will also return to a teaching role in Yale College.

Quinlan said his close work with Brenzel over the years has taught him the “value of thoughtful, detail-oriented admissions work” and prepared him well for his new position.

“Always putting the applicant at the forefront of decision-making is a real culture of admissions work that Dean Brenzel has brought, and that I hope to continue,” Quinlan said.

As the new admissions dean, Quinlan said he is interested in taking part in national conversations on the affordability of college as well as the use of technology in higher education. Quinlan added that he looks forward to working closely with Yale College Dean Mary Miller and President-elect Peter Salovey to continue to make Yale “accessible and innovative.”

As Yale-NUS’s first dean of admissions and financial aid this year, Quinlan built an admission staff of 10 professionals and designed strategies for the school for recruitment, outreach, financial aid and application review process. Quinlan will leave his post at Yale-NUS in May at the end of this year’s Yale-NUS admissions cycle.

Pericles Lewis, president of the Singaporean liberal arts college, said in a Tuesday email that the Yale-NUS admissions office will “evolve as the college grows,” but the basic structure that Quinlan set up will likely remain the same.

“We will have a search committee at Yale-NUS to search for the new dean, and ultimately I will make the appointment based on the advice of our executive vice president for administration Doris Sohmen-Pao, and with input from the Yale-NUS Governing Board,” Lewis said.

Salovey said Quinlan has had excellent judgment and obvious passion in his admissions work, adding that Quinlan “will be an important voice for diversity and accessibility at Yale and for higher education more broadly.”

University President Richard Levin, Miller and Salovey announced Quinlan’s appointment in a Tuesday email to select staff and faculty members in the Yale community. He will assume his new post on July 1, 2013.

AMY WANG