The women’s crew team, which has produced top 10 finishes at the NCAA championship for 10 times in the past 11 years, will open its spring season on March 30 against Penn and Columbia in Philadelphia. The team returns 16 rowers that helped last year’s team to a 10th-place finish at NCAA championships. The News spoke with team captain Eliza Hastings ’13 to discuss the upcoming spring season and her time as a Yale rower. Hastings, a history of art major from Berwyn, Pa., rowed in the No. 2 seat of the varsity eight at last year’s Ivy League championship.

Q: How was the fall season?

A: The fall season was good. We had some really good results in some of our lower boats. Our second varsity boat did really well. We won an event at the Head of the Charles Regatta, and we had the fastest collegiate Championship Four. Overall, it was a strong season.

Q: The team hasn’t raced since Oct. 28. What has the team been working on since then?

A: After fall season, we went into winter training, which is indoors at Payne Whitney in the tanks. We just erged and trained, preparing for the spring season and focusing on getting as fast as possible. We’ve been working on getting a base fitness that translates well into the water.

Q: How does it feel to back on the water for spring training?

A: It’s awesome. Obviously it’s great to be back rowing and being outside. We trained twice a day over spring break getting our technique down, working together and figuring out lineups for the boats.

Q: What are the team’s goals for the spring season?

A: We always say, “As fast as we can.” That’s been our motto this year. Every day on the water, we want to focus on gaining speed and being able to show that speed when we race in pressured situations.

Q: How are the freshmen integrating into the team?

A: Really well. We’ve been doing a lot of work this year, more so than in the past. I’m impressed with the freshmen, how they have transitioned into so much training. Some of them are in the top boats, so it’s exciting to have them come in and immediately be big contributors to the team.

Q: It’s your last season here. What are you going to miss about rowing for Yale?

A: Everything. I’m going to miss the team, my friends, my coaches. When I think of Yale, I’m going to be thinking of Yale women’s crew, my family away from my family. It’s going to be sad to leave. I’ve been working for four years and have been getting better every year. It’ll be weird for it to be over.

Q: As a senior and captain, do you have any personal goals for the team or the season?

A: My freshman year we won the Ivy League championship. It was a successful year. I’ve seen this team be really successful in the past, so I want to leave the team with no regrets and perform to the best of our ability.

Q: What are your thoughts heading into this weekend’s race?

A: I’m really excited for this weekend. It feels like we’ve been training and working towards this for months. I can’t wait.

CATHERINE WANG