THE NEWS

•  A recent ruling by a Mexican court declared that former Mexican President and Yale professor Ernesto Zedillo GRD ’81 — who was accused of committing war crimes during his presidency but was granted a suggestion of immunity by the State Department last year — is not eligible for immunity protection under the Mexican Constitution. In the March 6 ruling, the court also invalidated a letter from the former Mexican Ambassador to the United States Arturo Sarukhan to former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton LAW ’73 requesting immunity for Zedillo, claiming that the letter did not satisfy several conditions essential to its validity under Mexican law. Experts interviewed said if the State Department decides to withdraw its suggestion of immunity as a result of the Mexican court’s ruling, the outcome of the lawsuit against Zedillo may be affected. The Hartford federal court, which has jurisdiction over the case because Zedillo is a resident of Connecticut, has not yet ruled on Zedillo’s request for immunity.
  • Karl Turekian, a giant in the field of geology who brought dynamism and energy to the Geology and Geophysics Department for over half a century, died of cancer in Branford, Conn., on March 15. He was 85. Turekian, a Sterling Professor of geology and geophysics, oversaw modern geochemistry’s coming of age while researching at Yale for 57 years starting in 1956. Colleagues interviewed said Turekian had reached the pinnacle of achievement in his profession, collecting countless accolades and participating in some of the most significant scientific research of the 20th century – including the study of the first lunar samples collected during the Apollo space mission.
  • After heated debate over how to handle this year’s excess snow days — including the cancellation of February break following last month’s blizzard —  New Haven Public Schools found a solution. NHPS officials decided to make up the days by extending the school year into June and turning certain half days into full days. April break, unlike February break, will remain untouched. School officials said the decision was made after consulting parents, teachers and school administers, and that this solution is in the best interest of the district.

THE WEATHER

High of 40 degrees, low of 30 degrees, snow likely.

THE FOOD

In the colleges

Breakfast: Steelcut Oats, Waffle Bar, Lemon Poppy Muffin

Lunch: Vegetable Soup Pistou, Split Pea Soup With Ham, Chef’s Choice Frittata, Penne with Tofu & Winter Vegetables, “Old Country” Porketta, All-Natural Grilled Chicken Breast, All Beef Grilled Hot Dog, Grilled Garden Burger, All-Natural Grilled Cheeseburger, All-Natural Grilled Burger, Roasted Potatoes with Olives & Caper Dressing, Fresh Market Vegetable, Roasted Broccoli & Farro Salad, White Bean Salad with Sundried Tomato Vinaigrette, Peanut Butter Cookie

Dinner: Vegetable Soup Pistou, Split Pea Soup With Ham, Marinated Grilled Steaks, Mussels With Saffron Sauce, All-Natural Grilled Chicken Breast, Grilled Garden Burger, All-Natural Grilled Cheeseburger, All-Natural Grilled Burger, Roasted Vegetables & Provolone Panini, Shoestring French Fries, Roasted Broccoli & Farro Salad, White Bean Salad with Sundried Tomato Vinaigrette, Devils Food Cake

In Commons

Breakfast: Maple Flavored Organic Oatmeal, Waffle Bar, Omelets To-Order, Buttermilk Pancakes, Cage-Free Scrambled Egg Whites, Cage-Free Scrambled Eggs, Home Fries, Lemon Poppy Muffin

Lunch: Southwest Black Bean Soup, Spinach & Gruyere Tart, Corned Beef, Penne, All-Natural Grilled Chicken Breast, Vegetable Quesadillas, Pepperoni Pizza, Fresh Vegetable Pizza, Cheese Pizza, Green Bean & Tofu, Vegetable Fried Rice, Beef & Broccoli, Jasmine Rice, Chickpeas & Tomato Pita Sandwich, Red Bliss Potatoes, Fresh Market Vegetable, Sauteed Carrots With Dill, White Bean Salad with Sundried Tomato Vinaigrette, Peanut Butter Cookie

YALE DAILY NEWS