New Haven Judge Jack Keyes, 63, told the News Friday that a “life in politics” has pushed him to consider running for mayor, and that he will make his decision within the next two weeks.

Though Keyes cannot discuss his candidacy publicly until he resigns as probate judge, the New Haven Independent reported that he has privately told people he will run. Keyes said he has to “wait until everything is lined up properly” so he complies with all legal rules regarding his position as a judge.

“I will decide promptly,” Keyes said. “I’ve got to search my soul and see if I can find anything.”

Board of Aldermen President Jorge Perez also has announced that he is not planning to run for mayor this November. “I have never said I am going to run,” Perez said.

If Keyes resigns and officially files his papers with the city clerk to run for mayor, he will become the fourth official candidate in this November’s race, joining Ward 10 Alderman Justin Elicker FES ’10 SOM ’10, Connecticut State Rep. Gary Holder-Winfield and Sundiata Keitazulu, a plumber. Other potential candidates include Hillhouse High School Principal Kermit Carolina, former Chamber of Commerce President Matthew Nemerson and former city economic development administrator Henry Fernandez.

Keyes has supported legislation in favor of gay marriage and campaign finance reform, and has said he was disappointed by the Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission decision, according to the Independent.

Keyes served as the city clerk from 1980 to 1986.

Isaac Stanley-Becker contributed reporting.