Located at 55 Whitney Ave., the Undergraduate Career Services office sits as somewhat of an outlier from the rest of Yale’s fairly centralized campus, prompting a long trek for students who wish to use its services.

But beginning this Friday, UCS will begin hosting weekly open hours in a “satellite” office in Dwight Hall. Each Friday afternoon from 1–4 p.m., a UCS adviser will be present in the Dwight Hall library to answer students’ questions during 15-minute walk-in sessions similar to the open hours held at the Whitney Avenue UCS office for two hours every weekday.

“Based on past student input, we wanted to offer a UCS adviser from our office for an extended period of time in a more central location,” said Jeanine Dames, UCS director and associate dean of Yale College.

Dames said she is excited to partner with Dwight Hall because its library offers a private setting that allows students’ meetings to be comfortable and confidential. Dwight Hall is an “ideal” partner for UCS because of its convenient location on Old Campus and its organizational focus on public service, she added.

In addition to the Friday hours, UCS began to hold Tuesday office hours in the Dwight Hall library last week for students specifically interested in nonprofit or public interest career fields. Robyn Acampora, associate director of employment programs at UCS and nonprofit and public interest counselor, plans to hold her office hours in Dwight Hall on Tuesdays from 2–4 p.m. regularly during the academic year.

Although UCS has partnered with Dwight Hall to co-sponsor events in the past, the two organizations have never collaborated to set up a satellite UCS office before. UCS piloted a student peer adviser program in the residential colleges in 2003, but the Dwight Hall partnership marks the first time it has set up regular staff hours outside of its office.

For the opening day of the new satellite office on Friday, Dames herself will be the adviser present in the Dwight Hall library.

“Although it ends up being right before spring break, I hope people come,” she said. “This is certainly the beginning of what we hope will be a larger partnership [with Dwight Hall].”

Currently situated nearly a mile away from Old Campus, UCS’s far-off location has drawn complaints in the past from students unhappy about making the trek. All five students interviewed were pleased to hear they could receive counseling in a closer location.

“I’ve never been to UCS, but I feel like if it were closer, I’d probably be more willing to go,” David Shatan-Pardo ’15 said.

Shatan-Pardo added that he thinks having the hours in Dwight Hall is a smart idea because it may attract freshmen who live close by and would not otherwise be inclined to make the walk for career advice so early in their college experience.

Acampora said students visit UCS advisers for many reasons, ranging from interview tips to job search inquiries. Katie Aburizik ’13, who has visited UCS multiple times, said UCS generally offers “empowering” advice about broad career interests, though it does not do as well at answering specific questions.

UCS will hold its satellite office hours regularly for the rest of the academic year. The new satellite office hours will not replace UCS regular adviser hours, which will still be held at 55 Whitney.

AMY WANG