Did you watch the Oscars? Then you must have seen Meryl Streep DRA ’75. That is all.

From president to conductor. While attending the Yale-Harvard basketball game on Saturday, President-elect Peter Salovey went beyond the role of a traditional spectator: During the middle of the game, Salovey asked the conductor whether he could take the lead and conduct the Yale Precision Marching Band. The conductor agreed, and Salovey reportedly spent the next few minutes directing the musical ensemble as he waved his arms around in circles.

Joining the race. The quest for the mayor’s office became a four-man race on Tuesday when New Haven firefighter Salvatore Consiglio Jr. announced his bid to replace Mayor John DeStefano Jr. A resident of the Fair Haven neighborhood, Consiglio said he plans to run as an independent, a choice that will let him bypass the Democratic primary scheduled for September.

A toast to 50 most. In honor of the classic campus favorite, “Rumpus’s 50 Most,” several Yalies have launched a parody account showing off the 50 best-looking toasts. That’s right — the 50 most attractive pieces of bread. The Tumblr features a series of bread slices toasted to different levels, with one attractive toast broken up in pieces and another in the form of Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

Third highest. Yale fundraised the third-highest amount of money nationwide during the 2012 fiscal year, pulling in a total of $543,905,260, according to the Council for Aid to Education’s annual fundraising survey. Donations fell slightly from last year’s total of $580 million. Altogether, roughly 3,500 U.S. colleges and universities raised $31 billion, a 2.3 percent increase from the 2011 fiscal year.

Divesting across the Ivies. A fossil fuel divestment conference at Swarthmore College over the weekend drew representatives from 77 different divestment campaigns, including Yale’s. Representatives from Fossil Free Yale traveled to the liberal arts college to discuss divestment, environmentalism and social justice.

Rising tuition costs. For the first time, the price of tuition at Princeton will surpass $40,000. But the university is offering a financial aid plan, “Private College 529 Plan,” that could cut that price in half if Princeton parents choose to invest in the program today.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY 1922 Commons is expected to open today after being temporarily closed for the past two days following a walkout by the entire dining hall staff.

Submit tips to Cross Campus crosscampus@yaledailynews.com

YALE DAILY NEWS