Two of the top three scorers for the Bulldogs are American-born players — captain Andrew Miller ’13 and Kenny Agostino ’14 — and both are semifinalists for the Walter Brown Award this season.

The Walter Brown Award is the nation’s oldest college hockey award, established in 1953 and given annually to the best American-born Division I hockey player in New England. Miller was a semifinalist for the award last year, as was Brian O’Neill ’12 in 2011 and 2012. Though Yale is one of four teams represented twice on the list of semifinalists, Miller and Agostino are only one of two pairs of nominees that are linemates.

“Ken and I have learned a lot about each other through the last two years. We almost always know what the other person is going to do and where he is going to be,” Miller said.

The sort of chemistry that allows for the Bulldogs’ first and third point-getters to know where the other is going to be contributes to the impressive team offense Miller and Agostino’s line has generated this season. In 23 games played, Miller has put away 10 goals and 13 assists for an average of one point per game. Agostino has knocked home 12 goals and 15 assists for a total of 27 points on the year. Agostino’s 27 points make him the 33rd-highest scorer in Division I hockey, although he has played fewer games than his competitors.

Agostino attributes his success this season to his development over the years at Yale.

“I think [the nomination of both Andrew and myself] says a lot about the player Andrew is. He sees the ice so well and makes the game a lot easier for me,” Agostino said. “He’s the best passer I’ve ever played with and one of the best playmakers in the country.”

Miller, who has been voted as best passer by his teammates in all four of his seasons at Yale, has accumulated 138 points over his 126 games played at Yale. He currently has the second-most assists ever recorded at Yale with 104, only eight behind record-holder Bob Brooke ’83.

Quinnipiac and New Hampshire also have two semifinalists for the award. In both cases, instead of being linemates, players of different positions were selected. The rival Harvard Crimson is represented as well, with freshman forward Jimmy Vesey a nominee.

Both Miller and Agostino are grateful to be semifinalists for an award that represents a tradition in college hockey.

“It’s certainly an honor to be under consideration for this award,” Agostino said.

The finalists for the award will be announced in March, and the presentation of the honor will take place during New England College Hockey Writers’ Dinner in April.

The winner of the award in 2012, Bentley junior forward Brett Gensler, is also nominated again this year.