Neither the Yale men’s nor women’s swimming teams could come away with victories at their annual Harvard-Yale-Princeton meets, both finishing third in this past weekend’s competitions.

The men’s team was led by standout Andrew Heymann ’15, who broke his own school record in the 200-yard breaststroke. But consistent with the outcome of the meet for the Bulldogs, that record was only good enough for fifth place.

“Despite the loss, we swam well comparatively,” men’s team captain Jared Lovett ’13 said.

Outside of Heymann, the only other Eli to finish in the top five of an individual event was Rob Harder ’15, who turned in a fifth-place performance in the 1,650-yard freestyle.

This meet constituted the first losses of the seasons for the Bulldogs, who are now 7–2 after the 292–61 and 290–63 losses to Harvard and Princeton, respectively.

On the women’s side, two Bulldogs were able to win individual races. Paige Meneses ’13 won both the 3-meter diving and the 1-meter diving events, narrowly outscoring Harvard’s Emily Bonfig 258.40–258 in the 1-meter event.

“Paige was the bright light for us at the meet,” Courtney Randolph ’14 said. “All year, she’s been very solid in her performance and very consistent. … It’s great to see her in her senior season winning events.”

The other individual champion for Yale was Alex Forrester ’13, who won the 100-yard butterfly by seven-tenths of a second. Forrester is last year’s Ivy League champion in the event.

When asked if Forrester can surpass her feats from last year, Randolph said she believes she can.

“She’s really taken our coach’s advice to heart. … I definitely see her improving on last year’s results,” Randolph said.

Another standout group for the Bulldogs was the freshman class. Eva Fabian ’16, Casey Lincoln ’16 and Emma Smith ’16 all finished in the top seven of the 1,000-yard freestyle, and Olivia Grinker ’16 finished fourth in the 3-meter dive.

“[Our freshmen] bring so much energy to our team which translates directly into their performances in the pool,” women’s team captain Joan Weaver ’13 said. “They’re inspiring.”

Though the team lost 209–89 to Harvard and 197–103 to Princeton, one reason for the losses is the different approaches the teams take to the meet. Randolph said that while the Bulldogs treat it like any other meet, both Harvard and Princeton are more concerned with winning the dual meet season.

Now that the HYP meet is over, the team turns its focus to this Saturday’s home meet against Brown.

“As with any dual meet, HYP was an opportunity to get a feel for what we need to work on in our training,” Weaver said. “[Our] attitude coming out is not of defeat; it is of motivation, eagerness and fire.”

The Bulldogs beat Brown in their last competition against them on Nov. 30 to Dec. 2.

“Brown is the last dual meet of the season and personally, this is the last time for me to race at the exhibition pool,” Lovett said. “We are going to win, and we want to end the season with a record of 8–2.”

The Bulldogs will take on the Bears on Saturday at 1 p.m. at the Robert J.H. Kiphuth Exhibition Pool at Payne Whitney Gymnasium.

GRANT BRONSDON