Players who are recruited by PAC-12 schools do not often come to the Ivy League, but that is exactly what outside linebacker  Victor Egu has decided to do.

The Concord, Calif. native reneged on his verbal commitment to attend the University of California, Berkeley last week and said that he has verbally committed to Yale.

Fans of the Elis will have to wait to see him in the Yale Bowl, however, according to Egu’s former head coach at De La Salle High School, Justin Alumbaug.

“Victor will first be attending a prep school,” Alumbaugh said in an email to the News. “Then he intends on going to Yale.”

While ESPN had reported that Egu received offers from schools such as Oregon and Notre Dame — which both finished in the top five of the Associated Press final poll this season — the four-star recruit has become the highest-ranked recruit in the Ivy League this season. Egu could not be reached for comment.

Mercurynews.com first reported that Egu would be switching his commitment to the Elis on Jan. 26. In the report, Egu said that academics were an integral part of his decision.

“Education was also a factor,” Egu said in the article. “I know football isn’t everything and with a degree from Yale, I’ll have a wide range of opportunities.”

Reno declined to comment on the signing, citing NCAA regulations.

“It’s an NCAA rule and it’s also an Ivy [League] rule,” Reno said. “We can’t comment until after the player has matriculated in May.”

In 2012, Egu helped lead De La Salle to a perfect 15–0 season and its fourth consecutive California Interscholastic Federation Open Division state title. He recorded 42 total tackles and seven sacks, intercepted a pass and recovered two fumbles while playing defensive end for the Spartans.

Egu joins a strong Yale recruiting class. Offensive lineman Mason Friedline is a 6’5” 280-pound three-star recruit from Shoreline, Wash., who committed to the Bulldogs last Aug. 7. Earlier this month, redshirt freshman quarterback Morgan Roberts announced his decision to transfer to Yale from Clemson.

Roberts was the third string quarterback in Death Valley behind first-team all-ACC quarterback Tajh Boyd and sophomore signal caller Cole Stoudt. He appeared in just one game for the Tigers, completing two of three passes for 20 yards in a 52–27 blowout of Ball State on Sept. 8.

Although NCAA rules normally require transfer students to complete an “academic year in residence” before competing, Roberts may be able to compete for the Bulldogs next fall. The NCAA could waive the year in residence requirement because Roberts will be transferring from a scholarship program in the Football Bowl Subdivision to a university that competes in the Football Championship Subdivision and does not award athletic scholarships.

In 2012, Egu helped lead De La Salle to a perfect 15–0 season and its fourth consecutive California Interscholastic Federation Open Division state title. Egu recorded 42 total tackles and seven sacks, intercepted a pass and recovered two fumbles while playing defensive end for the Spartans.

Yale will kick off the 2013 season on Saturday, Sept. 21 at Colgate.