Two Yale students have been named Churchill Scholars this year, setting a University record.

Kavitha Anandalingam ’13 and Jonathan Liang ’13 were among 14 scholars selected nationwide to attend the University of Cambridge next fall under the Churchill Scholarship — a prestigious postgraduate award that will offer around $50,000 in support to each student. Students are chosen to pursue research and study in engineering, mathematics or the biological and physical sciences for one year at Cambridge.

Anandalingam is a biomedical engineering major and a Beckman Scholar. Among other activities during her undergraduate years, she has been involved with the Yale-New Haven Hospital and the Yale Refugee Project, and plans to research motor control and neural prosthetic devices at Cambridge.

Liang, a molecular biophysics and biochemistry major, is a Goldwater Scholar and a writer and editor for the Yale Scientific Magazine. He is interested in the role of noncoding DNA in human disease and plans to work on computational biology and the global genomic profile of breast cancer during his year in the U.K.

The Churchill Scholarship is currently awarded by the Winston Churchill Foundation of the United States to 14 students each year. Since 1963, 19 scholarships have been awarded to Yale students.

AMY WANG