In a standing-room-only Ingalls Rink, the Yale men’s hockey team blanked Harvard for its first shutout win of the season.

The Bulldogs (10–4–3, 6–3–1 ECAC) brought out their consistent high-tempo style as well as a bit of physical play from the first drop of the puck to end of their 4–0 victory. Goals from forwards Andrew Miller ’13, Antoine Laganiere ’13 and Trent Ruffolo ’14 helped the team take home its second conference win against the archrival Crimson (5–9–1, 3–7 ECAC) — Yale’s first sweep in seven seasons.

“I thought our defensive game was outstanding, and they created a lot of chances for us,” Yale head coach Keith Allain said.

Just over seven minutes into the first period, Miller helped set the pace for the rest of the game when he slammed a rebound from leading-scorer Kenny Agostino’s ’14 shot from the high slot over Crimson goaltender Peter Girard’s shoulder.

The shock of the first rebound goal woke the Crimson up momentarily, but Harvard’s attack began to subside as time elapsed.

An even seven minutes later, Laganiere added another tally to Yale’s scoring column. After winning a scrum in the corner, the Elis drove the puck straight to the net, and both Jesse Root ’14 and Ruffolo fired shots from point-blank range into Girard’s pads. Several rebounds later, Laganiere swooped in from above the circle and popped in another rebound goal from the same place Miller scored to widen the Elis’ lead to two.

The remainder of the first period was an even game, with two penalties assessed to each team and consistent back-and-forth hockey.

As the second period rolled around, the Crimson stormed the ice with fire in their bellies. Harvard stepped up to match Yale’s tempo and simultaneously threw their bodies around to wear the Bulldogs down in their own zone.

Harvard was unable to sustain the onslaught for long, though, and 6:53 into the second, Ruffolo gave the Elis their third goal. After Laganiere sent the puck across the ice to Ryan Obuchowski ’16, Ruffolo flew down the right side and crashed the net. Meanwhile, Obuchowski ripped a low shot from the point that Girard kicked out right to Ruffolo’s stick. Ruffolo then smacked it home past Girard’s leg to put the Elis up 3–0.

As the second period came to a close, the Bulldogs were forced to maintain their disciplined play, as they fended off a five-on-three opportunity in the last two minutes of the period to keep Harvard scoreless.

In the final period of action, Yale came out ready to make a statement.

Just 50 seconds into the third, Ruffolo added another goal to put the final nail in the coffin. Root fought for the puck behind the Crimson’s net and quickly made a bull’s-eye pass directly onto Ruffolo’s tape as he drove the net. Ruffolo one-timed the puck straight to the top of the net and the Bulldogs celebrated their 4–0 lead in the corner behind Girard. Several minutes after the fourth goal, Harvard pulled Girard and sent in backup goaltender Peter Traber who went on to finish out the game.

Yale finished the game with 39 shots while the Crimson managed to fire 21 on Malcolm.

During the first intermission, University President Rick Levin was commended for his success and thanked for his support of Yale Athletics during his tenure.

The Bulldogs will take on Dartmouth tomorrow night at Ingalls Rink at 7 p.m.