THE NEWS

• On the fourth floor of the renovated Yale University Art Gallery, a terrace sculpture garden looks out onto Chapel Street. Standing along the edge of the balcony, visitors are treated to a bird’s-eye view of the city and campus below. Like many of the gallery’s new additions, it is a tribute to both the institution’s past and present — a reminder that while the building’s foundation remains nearly as aged as the University itself, the YUAG has not closed its horizons to the future. How has the gallery adapted over the last 15 years? Yanan Wang reports.
  • For the first time since it was instated over 30 years ago, reading week will no longer last a full week. Though administrators said the change eliminates the days during reading period when students typically do little work, students said the change puts added stress on the term’s end. Even so, the majority of students interviewed said fall break, which offers a reprieve from the long stretch between the beginning of the school year and Thanksgiving, makes up for the shortened reading and exam periods.
  • Though Provost Peter Salovey established the Faculty Forum this fall to give professors a setting to discuss their concerns, many faculty members still question whether administrators are doing enough to promote shared governance between faculty and the University. The Faculty Forum, which convened three times this fall, is one of two new governance structures founded at Yale this semester. The other is a revival of the Yale chapter of the American Association for University Professors (AAUP). But several professors interviewed said neither of these structures would fulfill the role of a faculty senate — a structure some said Yale should consider implementing.

THE WEATHER
High of 44 degrees, low of 38 degrees, likely rain.

THE FOOD

In the colleges

Breakfast: Waffle Bar, Banana Nut Muffin

Lunch: Boston Clam Chowder, Barbecued Pork Chop, Swiss Chard with Tomatoes & Potatoes, California Black-Eyed Peas, All-Natural Grilled Chicken Breast, Hand Shaped Angus Hamburger, Hand Shaped Angus Cheeseburger, PB & G’s, French Fries, Chickpea & Bulgur Salad, Corn, Tomato & Basil Salad, Magic Bar, Gingersnap

Dinner: Vegetable Cassoulet with Pecan Crust, Baked Stuff Portabella Mushroom, Beef Pot Pie, All-Natural Grilled Chicken Breast, Grilled Garden Burger, Cajun Blackened Pollack, Roasted Yams & Bliss Potatoes, Chickpea & Bulgur Salad, Corn, Tomato & Basil Salad, Pumpkin Sheet Cake

In Commons

Breakfast: Maple Flavored Organic Oatmeal, Waffle Bar, Omelets To-Order, Chocolate Chip Pancakes, Cage-Free Scrambled Egg Whites, Sweet Potato Home Fries, Banana Nut Muffin

Lunch: Lobster Bisque, Cellentani With Beans Spinach & Cheese, Barbecued Pork Chop, Linguine, Eli’s Tuna Melt on Rye, Blue Cheese & Onion Burger, Spinach Pizza, Pepperoni Pizza, Cheese Pizza, Green Beans STIR, Shrimp Fried Rice, Jasmine Rice, Chicken Stir Fry With Teriyaki, Curried Tofu, Ricotta, Prosciutto & Arugula Sandwich, Basmati Rice, Caribbean Blend Vegetables, Chickpea & Bulgur Salad, Corn, Tomato & Basil Salad, Magic Bar, Gingersnap

YALE DAILY NEWS