The Bulldogs defeated Brown 4–3 tonight for their first home conference win of the season, scoring two of their goals 30 seconds apart in the second period.

In a game that came down to the wire, captain Andrew Miller ’13, Antoine Laganiere ’13 and Kenny Agostino ’14 helped give the Elis an offensive edge at Ingalls Rink. While Brown owned the lead for most of the game, the Bulldogs took control near the end of the second period and held on during a scoreless third period to win the game.

“The fact that they were two quick goals after being down the whole game definitely made a difference,” Antoine Laganiere ’13 said.

The difference tonight was on special teams. All four of Yale’s goals came on the power play, one of which was a five-on-three goal.

Brown (3–5–2, 0–2–2 ECAC) opened the scoring halfway through the first period when captain Dennis Robertson fired a slap shot from the point on the ice just past goaltender Nick Maricic ’13 to put Brown up 1–0. Less than four minutes later, Brown added a second goal when Chris Zaires received a pass from Matt Wahl in front and then wrapped it past Maricic.

After two goals on seven shots, head coach Keith Allain chose to replace Maricic with Jeff Malcolm ’13 for the rest of the game.

Before the Bulldogs headed to the locker room at the period’s end, however, they (6–2–1, 3–2 ECAC) were able to cut Brown’s lead to one goal. On the power play, Laganiere picked up a pass from Gus Young ’14 and fired low glove side to make the score 2–1 Brown.

After a slow first period with a few bursts of energy from the Elis, Yale came out on fire in the second period. The only thing that stopped the Elis from dominating was Brown’s equally energetic play.

The second period featured the high-paced and hard-hitting game that Allain had predicted earlier in the week. Brown opened the scoring when Matt Harlow tipped in a shot just inside the right post. But then Yale gained momentum.

Another power play was awarded to the Bulldogs, and Agostino took advantage of the opportunity. Miller fed a one-timer over to Agostino at the top of the right circle, and Agostino ploughed it into the top right corner to bring the game back to a one-goal difference.

Physical play picked up and a series of questionable hits from behind were dealt to the Bulldogs. A hit on Gus Young ’14 in the corner gave the Bulldogs a two-minute power play, then another hit on Agostino gave the Elis a 5 on 3.

Miller tied it up for the Bulldogs, walking in from the blue line and driving a slap shot over Brown’s goalie Marco DeFilippo’s right pad. Just 34 seconds later, Laganiere walked in front of the net and chipped a shot over DeFilippo’s shoulder to give the Bulldogs a lead they held onto through the end of the game.