THE NEWS

• George Nelson ’29 ARC ’31 is not as famous as some of his modernist contemporaries, such as Frank Lloyd Wright or Charles and Ray Eames. But as the focus of an exhibition and a recent symposium at the School of Architecture, he may be worth rediscovering. On Friday and Saturday, the School of Architecture hosted a symposium on Nelson’s life, work and legacy. The conference, organized by Dietrich Neumann, a professor of history of art and architecture at Brown University, was planned in conjunction with the retrospective of Nelson’s work, “George Nelson: Architect, Writer, Designer, Teacher,” currently on view at the second-floor gallery in the School of Architecture’s Rudolph Hall.
  • Undergraduates hoping to pursue careers in education may be running out of options as the University continues to phase out what remains of the Education Studies track. Yale canceled its Teacher Preparation program in 2010, citing budgetary issues and the pre-professional nature of the training program, but continued to offer a series of courses under the Education Studies umbrella. The University’s decision to end Teacher Preparation caused then-Director of Education Studies Jack Gillette to resign. Professor Linda Cole-Taylor currently runs the track and teaches the majority of its courses, but she will also leave at the end of the semester after the University rejected many parts of her proposal.
  • The dining room of the Afro-American Cultural Center was strewn with white and purple cloth on Friday night for the inaugural Edward A. Bouchet Ball commemorating the 45th anniversary of the Black Student Alliance at Yale. More than 150 students and several faculty and alumni attended the culminating event of BSAY’s homecoming week, a weeklong series of panels and events intended to promote discussion about the history of black students at Yale. The Bouchet Ball raised around $1,300 through $10 dinner fees for their first-ever “First Steps, Second Chances” scholarship, which was granted to Johnnasia Sanford, a previously incarcerated New Haven student.

THE WEATHER
High of 62 degrees, low of 52 degrees, patchy fog and likely rain.

THE FOOD

In the colleges

Breakfast: Steelcut Oats, Waffle Bar, Apple Cinnamon Muffin
Lunch: Miso Soup with Watercress & Shiitakes, Hot & Sour Soup, Korean Barbecued Pork Chop, Thai Coconut Chicken, Indonesian Vegetables & Noodles (Peanuts), All-Natural Grilled Chicken Breast, East Meets East Burger, Asian Pork Sandwich with Asian Peanut Slaw, Scallion Jasmine Rice, Fresh Market Vegetable, Cucumber Salad, Peanut Noodle Salad, White Chocolate Macademia Cookie, Organic Plain Brownie
Dinner: Squash Curry with Tofu, Pho Noodle Bowl Bar, All-Natural Grilled Chicken Breast, Grilled Garden Burger, Fried Fresh Calamari, Beef Shogayaki, Jasmine Ginger Rice, Fresh Market Vegetable, Cucumber Salad, Peanut Noodle Salad, Iced Gold Cake

In Commons

Breakfast: Maple Flavored Organic Oatmeal, Cage-Free Scrambled Eggs, Waffle Bar, Omelets To-Order, Buttermilk Pancakes, Scrambled Egg Whites, Home Fries, Apple Cinnamon Muffin
Lunch: Vegan Lentil & Mushroom Soup, Chicken Orzo Soup, Chermoula Stuffed Chicken Breast, Roman Orecchiette with Chard, Chili & Tofu, Penne, Pandorato (Italian Grilled Cheese), Mediterranean Foccacia, Pepperoni Pizza, Beef & Green Bean, Broccoli & Tofu, Vegetable Fried Rice, Jasmine Rice, Stir Fried Chinese Vegetable, Chicken Club Wrap, Forbidden Rice, French Fries, Roasted Zucchini & Yellow Squash, Cucumber Salad, Peanut Noodle Salad, White Chocolate Macadamia Cookie, Organic Plain Brownie

YALE DAILY NEWS