Former Yale defensive lineman Pat Moran ’12 is facing a criminal investigation after he was caught on tape discussing a plan to cast up to 100 fraudulent ballots, the Washington Post reported last week.

Moran was forced to resign as field director from his father’s — U.S. Representative Jim Moran (D) — reelection campaign on Oct. 24 after he was caught on tape telling an undercover reporter to look into a plan that would vote in place of up to 100 registered voters who rarely voted. The volunteer had pitched the plan, and though Moran was initially hesitant, he eventually offers tips on forging utility bills and bank statements to pass voter registration laws.

According to the Post, the younger Moran stated that he was only “humoring” the volunteer because he appeared to be “unstable.” Politico reported that Moran claimed he was “joking” when he discussed the plan with the undercover reporter.

Jim Moran’s campaign released a statement last Thursday welcoming the police investigation of the campaign.

Jim Moran has served 11 terms in Virginia’s 8th District and has previously served as mayor of Alexandria, Va. from 1985 to 1990. He is currently a senior member of the House Appropriations Committee.

The video was produced by Project Veritas, an organization that searches for corruption in business and politics. Veritas’ founder James O’Keefe is a noted conservative journalist.