DeLauro leads congressional race

As a hotly contested senate election in Connecticut continues to capture media attention, the race to represent Connecticut’s third Congressional District has — in the eyes of many observes — become a mere formality.

U.S. Rep. Rosa DeLauro, a Democrat who has held the seat since 1990, will face radio broadcaster Wayne Winsley this November in a race to retain her seat. In every election since her initial 1990 victory, DeLauro has won with at least 60 percent of the vote — including during the 2010 midterm elections when Democrats nationwide experienced crushing defeats.

“Congresswoman DeLauro’s attention to issues such as equal pay, job creation, nutrition and food safety is why the people of New Haven will re-elect her with a great margin again,” said DeLauro’s campaign manager, Jimmy Tickey.

Mayor John DeStefano Jr. said DeLauro is popular among Elm City residents, citing her advocacy for safe food and support for victims of Hurricane Irene in East Haven as instances of her positive impact on New Haven.

Ranked the most liberal of Connecticut’s five members of the House of Representatives by the National Journal, DeLauro is one of the Congressional Democrats who has not shrunk away from her support of the unpopular Affordable Care Act, which was upheld by the Supreme Court earlier this year. DeLauro has instead been vocal about her support, telling the New Haven Independent in September that “it is one of the proudest votes I’ve cast [and] a transformative piece of legislation.”

According to Tickey, DeLauro’s role as the ranking Democrat on the Labor, Health, Human Services and Education subcommittee has allowed her to address issues such as food safety and nutrition. Both are “specific staples of her re-election agenda along with the mainstream focuses on job creation and equal pay,” he added. DeLauro spoke at the Democratic National Convention to celebrate the passing of the Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act and to exhort the passage of the Paycheck Fairness Act.

Because the seat is considered so safe, Tickey said he does not know of any polling that has been done on the district yet.

“It’s certainly too Democratic [a district] for us to get our hopes up,” said Elizabeth Henry ’14, the president of the Yale College Republicans.

Though Henry predicts that the group will be more active in politics this year, she said it does not make sense to “expend both time and money” on a campaign for a candidate who is behind by so much “in terms of both money and infrastructure.” Instead, Henry said she thinks the Yale College Republicans will be involved in the campaigns for Connecticut Senate candidate Linda McMahon and Mass. Sen. Scott Brown, as well as the presidential campaign, where “we can best make a difference.”

In an email to the News, Nicole Hobbs ’14, elections coordinator for the Yale College Democrats, said that “as of now, the DeLauro, Murphy and Obama campaigns are fully coordinated, so any work the Dems do for Murphy in [the third congressional district] will also be for DeLauro.” Zak Newman ’13, president of the Dems, said the club would be supporting DeLauro if there were not more prominent races taking place at the same time. The Dems will be canvassing weekly for DeLauro and Murphy in New Haven, Newman added.

“We’ve done a lot of work with the Yale Democrats,” said Tickey, adding that the campaign really appreciates “their energy and vigor.”

Winsley, known as “The Conservative Capitalist” in his broadcast work, said DeLauro has raised 30 times as much money as him but added that he still believes he has a shot at the seat.

“Everyone but the voters thinks this race is decided, but I believe I have a very good chance of winning,” he said.

Winsley added that voters he meets are impressed by his policies and “disgusted by the direction in which this country is going.” He said his biggest opponents are “those in the Republican establishment who have already conceded this race.”

WInsley also said he wants the Yale College Republicans and Democrats to host a debate between DeLauro and himself so that the voters can closely compare the two candidates.

According to the Cook Partisan Voter Index, the 3rd Congressional District swings 9 percentage points in favor of the Democrats.

• Love_Of_Liberty

No matter what the problem you can count on DeLauro to have a government answer.And it is usually the wrong answer.

Just keep the populace dependent on government for their meager existence , cradle to grave, and don’t let them learn about the other, more beneficial options they might have if they voted out the purse-snatchers.

• towngown83

I’m still not sure of what, if anything, DeLauro has accomplished over the decades. Except getting herself reelected. How many thousands of jobs have we lost in her district? 10,000 at the Stratford Army Plant, thousands at Sikorsky, Pratt and Whitney anyone? She got a park bench memorial in Wooster Park from her Italian Booster Club. It’s high time to get rid of her, but it will never happen.

• christopherschaefer

What has DeLauro accomplished in 22 years? Plenty—for herself! Cronyism makes political power more important and increases the competition for that political power via campaign contributions. The way to end cronyism is to end that political power. And the way to end that power is to replace self-serving crony politicians—like Rosa DeLauro. What is Rosa DeLauro doing about the Federal debt—now equaling over $150,000 PER TAXPAYER? Unless voters get rid of spendaholics like DeLauro, our economy will remain stalled, and the jobless rate will remain unacceptably high. The path to end this waste—and to stop the creation of yet another generation of SNAP-dependent families—is less government. Getting re-elected is DeLauro’s number one priority. Why? So she can continue to milk her office as a cash cow. During the recession, when most of us were LOSING money, her personal wealth GREW by over $2 MILLION per year. http://www.conntact.com/government/11691-rosas-not-in-the-red.html Here’s how: http://www.humanevents.com/2011/10/04/delauro-campaign-finances-raise-questions/

• christopherschaefer

Wayne Winsley: “’We’re at a point now for the first time in history that the next generation may be worse off than the previous generation. We’re running up a debt that not only our children will be paying down, but our grandchildren. The current administration and the Congress are not getting that done…our children deserve more than a food stamp nation’….DeLauro could not attend the [candidates’ forum], but sent her campaign manager, Jimmy Tickey, instead.” http://middletownpress.com/articles/2012/10/05/news/doc506f587a77a62867830893.txt?viewmode=fullstory

• tpsurvey

It is time for Rosa to get out of her tomb of twenty years and finally have a debate with a candidate who is running against her. For over the last 20 years she has and will continue to do so.Wayne Winsley has asked her for months to have a debate. Even the media denied that he has asked for one even though you tube videos tell otherwise.
    It is time to see if she can manage even one debate or will she just pop into Sally’s now and then and be called a true leader for passing out diapers.